Hanna Marine Magnesium Checker HI783 Problems/Issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Are you experiencing issues with your Marine Magnesium Checker (HI783)?

• Yes - Describe Below

Votes: 31 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t even make any sense. How could the salt have anything to do with it? It’s testing for magnesium, not sodium chloride lol
I only found out today that salinity affects readings... ie..if the salinity is high then Cal. Mag, Sodium, etc are higher..... it baffled me

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t even make any sense. How could the salt have anything to do with it? It’s testing for magnesium, not sodium chloride lol
She kept telling me because the salt i use is the red sea coral pro that it has a higher concentratuon of magnesium in it.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well how bout that.
I tested my water with the checker and tested 1560.
Took a sample in right of way to my LFS and had them test it and it tested 1329.
Any ideas on what i can do now with this.
Cqll hanna? Send it in?

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well how bout that.
I tested my water with the checker and tested 1560.
Took a sample in right of way to my LFS and had them test it and it tested 1329.
Any ideas on what i can do now with this.
Cqll hanna? Send it in?
It is an issue with the reagents. No need to send it in, they are sending out replacements. I just received an email a few hours ago to fill out this form to get new reagents: https://pages.hannainst.com/hi783-reagent-issue?utm_campaign=HI783-HI784-Checker-Launch-2022

In the meantime I have been getting pretty good results using 5ml of reagent A.

Hopefully the new reagents are accurate. If they are then I think this will be a pretty good checker.

Edit - Here is the email I received from Hanna:
"Some of our customers reported issues when using our Marine Magnesium Checker® (HI783). We at Hanna, took a deep dive into this problem. We gathered customer feedback and performed extensive testing in our laboratory.

After investigating, we determined that our reagents used in the Marine Magnesium Checker® test were the root cause of this issue. We discovered that one of the chemical raw materials in the reagents has an unexpected degradation over time. This caused customers to experience high readings.

We will send new reagents to customers that purchased a Marine Magnesium Checker® (HI783). The estimated ship date is 6-8 weeks due to production requirements.

To our customers both near and far, we greatly appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. We apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused. We look forward to resolving this matter for you so that you can get back to what matters most, your reef tanks."

Last edited:

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an issue with the reagents. No need to send it in, they are sending out replacements. I just received an email a few hours ago to fill out this form to get new reagents: https://pages.hannainst.com/hi783-reagent-issue?utm_campaign=HI783-HI784-Checker-Launch-2022

In the meantime I have been getting pretty good results using 5ml of reagent A.

Hopefully the new reagents are accurate. If they are then I think this will be a pretty good checker.

Edit - Here is the email I received from Hanna:
"Some of our customers reported issues when using our Marine Magnesium Checker® (HI783). We at Hanna, took a deep dive into this problem. We gathered customer feedback and performed extensive testing in our laboratory.

After investigating, we determined that our reagents used in the Marine Magnesium Checker® test were the root cause of this issue. We discovered that one of the chemical raw materials in the reagents has an unexpected degradation over time. This caused customers to experience high readings.

We will send new reagents to customers that purchased a Marine Magnesium Checker® (HI783). The estimated ship date is 6-8 weeks due to production requirements.

To our customers both near and far, we greatly appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. We apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused. We look forward to resolving this matter for you so that you can get back to what matters most, your reef tanks."
I tried that link, filled everything out but nothing happens when i hit the summit tab.
Idk if its going thru or not. Do they send you an email once you summit it?

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that link, filled everything out but nothing happens when i hit the summit tab.
Not that I'm aware of. I filled out the form from a link on Instagram the other day but never heard anything afterward.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I'm aware of. I filled out the form from a link on Instagram the other day but never heard anything afterward.
Ok, im not sure if the link its working prooerly or not. Im gonna have to call them

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I submitted it the form changed to say "Thank you for your submission." No confirmation email.

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for posting this having same always high readings when my Red Sea was reading 1400s. Will fill out the form when I get home.

Boogieman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did two tests without the tips and got results of 1675 and 1690 which is better than the 1800+ I have been consistently getting when using the tips, but still ~300 higher than the actual levels. I guess when I use the tips they suck in some air even if I go slowly.
How do you know what the actual level is .. how do you know the Hanna is wrong.??
Thanks

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know what the actual level is .. how do you know the Hanna is wrong.??
Thanks
I would try using 4ml reagent A, 5ml sample, 1.1ml of reagent B. The result should be closer to the actual level

Boogieman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna has confirmed that there’s a problem with their reagents. That’s why they’re replacing them free of charge.
Right ok I learned that this morning.. but how did you determine the level of magnesium in your tank?

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right ok I learned that this morning.. but how did you determine the level of magnesium in your tank?
When it became obvious that there were problems with the Hanna checker accuracy I purchased a Salifert magnesium test kit. The last ICP test I did I also tested magnesium with the Salifert and Hanna checker at the same time I took the water samples for the ICP test. When I got the results back the Salifert results were much closer to the ICP results. Hanna was more that 200 mg/L higher.

Boogieman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it became obvious that there were problems with the Hanna checker accuracy I purchased a Salifert magnesium test kit. The last ICP test I did I also tested magnesium with the Salifert and Hanna checker at the same time I took the water samples for the ICP test. When I got the results back the Salifert results were much closer to the ICP results. Hanna was more that 200 mg/L higher.
Ok . You Used ICP.. i might have to get one of those test kits and send some samples . thank you

TiggerMillions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Does anyone have problems submitting the request with that link? It's unresponsive when I hit submit... It's kind of pathetic that they created another error on top of an error.

Back