Hannah Alkalinity Refill inaccurate.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if anyone has seen this? I am using the Hannah Alkalinity test kit. I get my refills from Bulk Reef supply.

My alkalinity runs 9.1. Saturday, I open a new refill and tested. The Hannah with the new refill tested at 8.1. So I pulled out the Salifert test and it tested at 9.2.

I also had some left over Hannah regent and tested again. It read 9.1

I am wondering if there are some bad batches of Hannah refills?

The lot number is 7529 Exp 12/2019
Sounds like bad batch . Sorry to hear

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just contacted Hanna Instruments and they said in the past there was some issue, but they have had no reports of bad lot numbers. To be honest they did not seem to care that I had a bad refill kit. I also informed them that some of you (on Reef2Reef) have seen similar issues. I tried to give them the lot number but they did not want it. They just said if it happens again let them know.

Well that's an unfortunate response. You might want to move this thread to the Hanna forum since they're a sponsor. Maybe they ignore the other forums?

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/hanna-instruments.941/

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction Edit: I got lazy with testing and assumed my alk/calcium needs were unchanged. I ordered and tested with a Salifert and the results almost exactly match my Hanna.

Last edited:

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not one to bash Hannah as I feel their products are realibale while making them affordable to the average hobbiest. If moving to vendor feedback forum helps I would definitely do so. Not that I am looking for an action from hannah but just an answer to the issues that is seems more than one of us are having

The whole reason I went to the alk checker was because I found it so hard to get a precise reading from the red sea test. Yes its great for a general reading but I was really trying to track my consumption to gauge my dosing.

Thought I was there but after this discrepancy I'm back to square one. I need to order a new reagent, and will, but would definitely love to see some light shed on this topic.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not one to bash Hannah as I feel their products are realibale while making them affordable to the average hobbiest. If moving to vendor feedback forum helps I would definitely do so. Not that I am looking for an action from hannah but just an answer to the issues that is seems more than one of us are having

The whole reason I went to the alk checker was because I found it so hard to get a precise reading from the red sea test. Yes its great for a general reading but I was really trying to track my consumption to gauge my dosing.

Thought I was there but after this discrepancy I'm back to square one. I need to order a new reagent, and will, but would definitely love to see some light shed on this topic.

If it's new they might replace it!

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's new they might replace it!
I dont mind so much about that just want to know its reliable. I just want an accurate and consistent ALK reading. Readings were definitely consistent with the hannah but a shame if they were inaccurate.

Thought the ALK checker was a godsend. I know the po4 checker was.

I just feel the ALK titrations tests leave so much room for error unless there are much easier tests than the red sea

I work with water tests for a living so I know what an easy test and a hard test is

Granted most of what my business is designed to do is take the guess work out with chemical automation (orp controllers) but we still need to test and calibrate manually

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to say that there isn't a possibility of bad batches giving bad results, but I've found with my Hanna checkers(both Alk and ULR Phos) that having a laboratory type regimen to the testing improves precision greatly. My process is probably overkill but I recently went on a two week vacation and had to write out my alk procedure for my tanksitter.

1. Flush seawater syringe in tank water
2. Fill cuvette on flat surface until meniscus on line
3. Cap and wipe down with soft microfiber rag, do not touch glass after wiping
4. Insert and face 10 ml mark on cuvette towards front with tester sitting on flat surface
5. Click to run C1
6. Remove by cap and hold bottom in microfiber to uncap
7. Check that reagent syringe tip is fully on and plunger is fully depressed
8. Draw from reagent until syringe is completely full(past 1ml mark)
9. Depress down to top of 1 ml mark
10. Fully depress reagent syringe into cuvette
11. Pick up glass using microfiber, cap, and invert 5 times
12. Insert, align 10ml mark, and click to run c2

I run the alk test daily within 15 mins of the same time. Make sure to avoid testing shortly after any two part additions as they take time to fully dissipate depending on flow rate of your return and powerheads and the amount dosed. I also rinse my cuvettes in RODI and dry on my baby bottle drying grass. :)

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if anyone has seen this? I am using the Hannah Alkalinity test kit. I get my refills from Bulk Reef supply.

My alkalinity runs 9.1. Saturday, I open a new refill and tested. The Hannah with the new refill tested at 8.1. So I pulled out the Salifert test and it tested at 9.2.

My salifert reads 1 dkh higher than my last 2 hanna refills. It's got me wondering if I'm 8.4 or 9.4. I have 2 more refills coming soon.

RFL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just opened a fresh bottle of alkalinity reagent a few days ago (with different lot number than yours) and it reads consistent with prior lot. I've not had problems from lot to lot yet with any of my 3 Hanna Checkers; and I've never seen floaters in alkalinity reagent. I am disappointed to hear Hanna's response to your inquiry though. I would have expected them to stand behind their product by supplying you with a free replacement bottle just to maintain customer goodwill if nothing else.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refills are lot # 7323, exp. 08/2019. I test every day, so bought a bunch last time I ordered. I’ve found no difference between bottles, but that this lot tests consistently low as compared to Salifert.

Once crazy thought, and few free to tell me I’m stupid for thinking it. When the dkh checker was released, they reformulated their reagent based on the new checker with a new number. I use the older HI755 checker, but the reagents I’m using are HI772-26 which according to BRS are good for both. Maybe that’s an issue?

Another thing I’ve noticed is, in the past the plungers included have flat rubber ends, whereas this lot I’m using now comes with pointy ends which extend beyond the top of the flat part. Could be causing a discrepancy?

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Danj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah these are the kinds of shenanigans that caused me to order a reference solution in the hopes that i could use it as an arbiter between my two kits. I mostly use my hanna kit, with the same pedantic procedure as mentioned above. Every now and then i compare it to my red sea kit and sometimes they’re both spot on, other times the red sea reads 0.8-0.9 higher.

http://cm-distributors.com/product/multi-reference-solution/

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hanna Instruments usually responds to these type of threads, so no reason to move the thread probably. Keep posting your batch numbers and it will help them diagnose the problem.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another off topic about Hanna that disappointed me. I ordered 4 new vials Thay didn't come with the black screw down caps but these plastic inserts. i wasn't sure if this was the new cap. no matter how herd I press this inserts it's still too tall to close the lid on the checker properly.
So if I toss the 3 old etched vials & save the caps I have I'm still one cap short.
I feel they could have supplied the caps also .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back