Hannah Alkalinity Refill inaccurate.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another off topic about Hanna that disappointed me. I ordered 4 new vials Thay didn't come with the black screw down caps but these plastic inserts. i wasn't sure if this was the new cap. no matter how herd I press this inserts it's still too tall to close the lid on the checker properly.
So if I toss the 3 old etched vials & save the caps I have I'm still one cap short.
I feel they could have supplied the caps also .

They sell the black caps separately. The plastic inserts I believe are only for shipping the empty vials. I think they also sell individual vials with a cap included. My guess is you just bought the vial only 4 pack?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ! I didn't see those ! I figured the inserts were just for keeping out debris .

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received 2 bottles today from lot 7633 exp 01/20. It's reading higher than lot 7439 exp 10/19. It's only by .3 though. Still lower than my salifert test. I sent out a water sample to ati yesterday and took readings from every test kit I have. I've been having some tank issues. I'll see what comes back.

OP
OP
Terry Brown

Terry Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I would like to mention is Bulk Reef Supply did replace my refill with not issues at all. They are amazing to do business with.

I did open a another new bottle of Reagent last night and got a reading of 8.1. So at least the new bottles are consistent but reading low. They are consistently low by 1 DKH from what I can tell. I used the Salifert again and it reads 9.2. As I originally posted, the older bottle of Salifert reagent was reading 9.1.

I think I am going to buy a bottle of the reference solution to see what it reads.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if anyone has seen this? I am using the Hannah Alkalinity test kit. I get my refills from Bulk Reef supply.

My alkalinity runs 9.1. Saturday, I open a new refill and tested. The Hannah with the new refill tested at 8.1. So I pulled out the Salifert test and it tested at 9.2.

I also had some left over Hannah regent and tested again. It read 9.1

I am wondering if there are some bad batches of Hannah refills?

The lot number is 7529 Exp 12/2019

I had a similar problem. The last test from the bottle showed a spike to 9.3 from 8.2. I opened the new bottle and it tested 8.1. I assume maybe concentrated solution at the bottom made the spike. I now make sure I shake the bottle before ever test.

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will reply to this thread when I get the ati results back. I've been trying to maintain an alk of 8-8.5. I'm hoping the hanna is correct. Otherwise I've been in the mid 9s and that could explain my corals struggling in a lower nutrient tank. After reading lots of people getting a 1 dkh low it's kinda upsetting.

Wilsonfeliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see stuff floating around in my reagent as well.

I also saw stuff floating in the alkalinity reagent that I am currently using, and although I have not noticed reading errors, it was strange to me.

Maybe we should contact Hanna's service.

Tonight I can give you the lot number, I bought mine at Marine Depot a few months ago.
D0ED6F94-97EE-4DC0-852C-F2E47D5B487F.jpeg
C3A86281-FBC7-40B2-80C5-0B880814050A.jpeg

OP
OP
Terry Brown

Terry Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem. The last test from the bottle showed a spike to 9.3 from 8.2. I opened the new bottle and it tested 8.1. I assume maybe concentrated solution at the bottom made the spike. I now make sure I shake the bottle before ever test.

I try to be very consistent in my tests.

I use a syringe to measure 10 ml of tank water
Shake the bottle before the test.
Invert the test vial 7 times.
take my reading
Clean the syringes and test vial in RODI. Let them dry out before testing again.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna is still IMO the best instrument for the task. I don't particularly care if my alk is 8.2 or 9.2 personally, as long as it is consistent. This is hobby grade equipment after all I am sure there are better alternatives if you want to spend more money on them.

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna is still IMO the best instrument for the task. I don't particularly care if my alk is 8.2 or 9.2 personally, as long as it is consistent. This is hobby grade equipment after all I am sure there are better alternatives if you want to spend more money on them.
Well 8.2 to 9.2 is an issue to me. I agree that it's consistent. If it turns out my alk is 9.2 then I know my hanna needs to read 7.2.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I would like to mention is Bulk Reef Supply did replace my refill with not issues at all. They are amazing to do business with.

I did open a another new bottle of Reagent last night and got a reading of 8.1. So at least the new bottles are consistent but reading low. They are consistently low by 1 DKH from what I can tell. I used the Salifert again and it reads 9.2. As I originally posted, the older bottle of Salifert reagent was reading 9.1.

I think I am going to buy a bottle of the reference solution to see what it reads.
terry if You do this, please let us know what You learn Thanks, Brian

OP
OP
Terry Brown

Terry Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
terry if You do this, please let us know what You learn Thanks, Brian
Brian,

I ordered the reference solution from Bulk Reef Supply. It supposed to be here Friday.
I still have some of the older testing reagent that's showing 9.1, so I am going to compare the older regent, the two newest reagents (showing 8.1), and the salifert (showing 9.2) and compare to the reference.

As I said before I am mostly looking for consistent results between bottles of Hannah reagent. I understand its hobby grade, but 9.1 and 8.1 between two different bottles of Hannah reagent seems extreme to me.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian,

I ordered the reference solution from Bulk Reef Supply. It supposed to be here Friday.

What exactly did you order from BRS, because I can't seem to find it on their website. Can you provide the url? I looked up that other solution, but shipping prices are crazy.

I agree that it's more about consistency than actual level, but if results vary 1 dkh between solutions, that's not consistent.

OP
OP
Terry Brown

Terry Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly did you order from BRS, because I can't seem to find it on their website. Can you provide the url? I looked up that other solution, but shipping prices are crazy.

I agree that it's more about consistency than actual level, but if results vary 1 dkh between solutions, that's not consistent.

I agree 1 dkh between solutions is not even close to consistent.

Here it the link to BRS alkalinity https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hi75...rds-for-hi755-hanna-checker-marine-water.html
I called BRS and this is the correct calibration solution to use even though it says its for the HI755. The guy at Bulk Reef supply also said the reagents are also interchangeable, for the HI1755 and HI772. The only difference is one reads in PPM and the other in DKH.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 1 dkh between solutions is not even close to consistent.

Here it the link to BRS alkalinity https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hi75...rds-for-hi755-hanna-checker-marine-water.html
I called BRS and this is the correct calibration solution to use even though it says its for the HI755. The guy at Bulk Reef supply also said the reagents are also interchangeable, for the HI1755 and HI772. The only difference is one reads in PPM and the other in DKH.

Ah I see, the calibration kit. I have that and it shows my checker is working properly. This won't tell us if the reagent we're using is working correctly though. For that we need to buy that reference solution.

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never use a Hanna checker for alk. This is your most important “tested” parameter!! The consistency between batches does seem to vary by 1 dKh regularly. I use the tried and true salifert kit. When I am on vacation I have my dad use the Hanna. I figure out the offset and it’s easier for my dad.

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue. The reagent I was using read 6.3 and then I got a new bottle and that was reading 9.2. I ended up picking up red seas alk test to compare and it matched up to the new bottle. Not sure if it was a bad batch but it's a pretty big difference. I will say someone from Hanna did reach out to me and offered a new bottle but now I end up using 2 test kits to be sure.

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the issue on three brand new bottles of reagent last week. I test two tanks twice a day, and for many months the Hanna has read quite consistently for me. I have very constent method and always stir up the reagent and clean the cuvette the same way, etc., etc.

Both problem batches tested about 1 dkh lower on both tanks, batches 7522 and 7529 (same batch OP reported as reading low).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back