Canadian GIF by megan motown

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that the London bridge has moved to Arizona
I just looked that up. Holy cow... It's a real thing and kind of cool. Totally kindred spirits but I must say I don't think we have anything quite like that here. :) LOL

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We gained our Independence from the Brits on July 1, 1867. We're not quite as old as you folks but we try to party just as hard. :)
But if you gained independence, how are you still in the Commonwealth? I guess there's different definitions of independence. But, politics aside, I just came back from a trip to Vancouver and Whistler, and we all had a great time! In fact, my wife surprised me by saying, "I could see living here!"

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you gained independence, how are you still in the Commonwealth? I guess there's different definitions of independence. But, politics aside, I just came back from a trip to Vancouver and Whistler, and we all had a great time! In fact, my wife surprised me by saying, "I could see living here!"
BC is fabulous! I lived out there for two years when I was younger. BC always had such mild weather although that has changed a bit with climate change but I would move back there. You should move! :)

Ya, we have a bit of an odd relationship with the UK and the crown. We are independent as in all taxes remain in Canada, we have our own government, laws, etc, but we have chosen to remain in the Commonwealth. There is a growing movement here to leave and totally cut ties but I don't think that will happen. Our Independence came more from an amicable divorce where we said "we want our Independence" and the UK said "fine, you're free to leave". We didn't have to go through what you guys did to separate. :) I often wonder if you guys had waited 100 yrs whether you would've separated the same way we did. You too might still be part of the Commonwealth. :)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice of Canada to celebrate its independence durring the week of summer.
They were still skiing in some parts of BC a couple weeks ago and one resort in Alberta was able to reopen because they still had snow. They were hoping to keep it open until today. They've been getting funky cold weather out there. BC is definitely weird to still have had snow a few weeks ago.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July 1 was known as "Dominion Day" for many decades, as it celebrates the union of four British colonies -- Ontario and Quebec (formerly known as the Province of Canada, or Canada West and Canada East, or Upper and Lower Canada), New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia, and not necessarily the formation of a new and independent country. Canada's legal independence has been held, by various scholars, as 1867, sometime in the 1920s, 1931 (the Statue of Westminster), 1939 (when Canada had to determine if was joining WWII on the side of the allies separately from the U.K.), 1949 (the last court cases sent to the JCPC in the UK for final determination), or 1982 (when Canada gained final say over its Constitution(s) (we have several constitutional instruments).

We are still in the Commonwealth because we -- along with Newfoundland, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand -- forced the U.K. to the table and gained important legislative concessions from them, allowing independence to the colonies but ensuring cooperation through the spirit of bonhomie. For Anglophiles, that is.

@Karen00 -- is correct: the Dominion of Canada was largely welcomed in the U.K. as a way of offloading expneses. But it was hastened along by panic and fear that the United States or its actors was going to annex the Canadian colonies. Canada had suffered from low-scale attacks by American militias for years, leading to outrage and a push for, at least, a defensive union.

At least, this is what I told my squirrelfish a moment ago. It is staring back at me, blankly, unimpressed by my historical precis.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were still skiing in some parts of BC a couple weeks ago and one resort in Alberta was able to reopen because they still had snow. They were hoping to keep it open until today. They've been getting funky cold weather out there. BC is definitely weird to still have had snow a few weeks ago.
Like I said... Summer in CA :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said... Summer in CA :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
That's in the mountains! When I lived in Calgary, though -- and I lived there for ten years -- I was able to experience snow every month of the year. It snowed during one July long weekend Stampede, causing more outraged shrieks than any incendiary political talking point could ever achieve, and one actual snowstorm during the August long weekend.

But it does make blackfly/deerfly/horsefly season that much shorter. :)

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were some skiers in Whistler, but most were mountain bikers (not sure what all this has to do with fishies, but fun nonetheless).

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's in the mountains! When I lived in Calgary, though -- and I lived there for ten years -- I was able to experience snow every month of the year. It snowed during one July long weekend Stampede, causing more outraged shrieks than any incendiary political talking point could ever achieve, and one actual snowstorm during the August long weekend.

But it does make blackfly/deerfly/horsefly season that much shorter. :)
Oh... I forgot about the horseflies! I would be fine if I never see one of those again!! The chunks of flesh they can take out of you remind me of the Clownfish stories/pics on here! :)

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... I forgot about the horseflies! I would be fine if I never see one of those again!! The chunks of flesh they can take out of you remind me of the Clownfish stories/pics on here! :)
A lot of people here (and certainly in the NWT) call them "bulldog flies" for a real reason. I fondly recall days of swimming in Great Slave Lake while being bombarded by them, and having to swim underwater for escape. :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back