hard / clumpy sand

  • Thread starter Thread starter RyanCSGO
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2016
Messages
1,224
Reaction score
1,453
Location
Orange, California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was placing a coral on my sand bed and noticed that some parts of my sand was pretty firm.
I pushed on it with my finger and a piece shifted that was clumped together. I've never had this happen before, this is also the first time I've used dry sand starting the tank. Is this common? Will it effect anything with the tank?
 
what are your alk/calcium levels at? I have had it happen in the past just broke it back up.
 
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 5 ppm or less
KH 8.5 - 9
cal 380-400

I should be able to just break it up, I was reading random info on it (old old convo's through random searches) that suggested removing it so I figured I would ask before doing so.
 
Do you consistently run at high ph? I would not remove the sand personally unless someone with more insight can chime in. I have seen several possible causes, but all seem to be circumstantial except for the theories involving high alk/ph levels.
 
Ph has been pretty consistent around 8.2

perhaps my alk was a lot higher previously,Ii started dosing 2part before any type of live stock went into the tank.
 
Parts of my sand does the same thing. I just break it up and syphon the hard parts out when I do a WC. May not be the right thing to do, but it has gotten a lot better since.
 
Thanks guys. I'll break it up and see what its like in a few days or a week.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new