CC5A2522-0DF5-493C-BC56-3AE88F2B13C8.jpeg

D606C429-25B4-452B-B6FC-519C0AA3E6B4.jpeg

RandyT5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two, one died from a velvet outbreak, also didn't bother anything in the tank, but I keep them well fed. I have another one and he is such a model citizen. HT are the fish that got me into salt water fish. Mine is housed with a teeny clownfish, a blue tang, a melanurus wrasse, hawkfish, snowflake eel. Doesn't bother snails, hermits, or anything. Love my tusk.

harlequintusk.jpg

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was quite predatory and would hunt wrasse in the sand as they slept, it was amazing and expensive to watch. Any slim fish was a target for mine and I took a decision to rehome him when he ate my Potters Angel. In the mean time he all shrimp except 1, boxers, cleaners and cardinals. Some are clearly more like this than others as many people have much better experiences than I did. Having said that I could almost hand feed him.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was quite predatory and would hunt wrasse in the sand as they slept, it was amazing and expensive to watch. Any slim fish was a target for mine and I took a decision to rehome him when he ate my Potters Angel. In the mean time he all shrimp except 1, boxers, cleaners and cardinals. Some are clearly more like this than others as many people have much better experiences than I did. Having said that I could almost hand feed him.
Mine was as well. He never bothered any new fish other than new wrasses. He quickly killed a Melanarus wrasse and a six line wrasse. Never bothered any one else. He did eat my clean up crew.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a risk buying a juvenile at <1"
He took an incredible amount of abuse going into my tank and had to be fished out and seperated several times. These are tough fish and now it swims anywhere in the tank with no fear whatsoever although they are very slow growing. It is definitely one of my favourite fish right behind my spanish hogfish.

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tusk consistently harasses my wrasses. He also ate any cleanup crew I had in my tank until I started adding them at night when the lights were off. Now he leaves them alone. He also tries and fails every time to take a bite out of my 2” electric hermit. Pretty sure the electric is taunting him at this point, going near where the Tusk sleeps at night all the time. My Tusk also has lost his “tusks” multiple times by running into the acrylic.

jorahx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful fish, do they get along with larger wrasses like a pinkface ?

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful fish, do they get along with larger wrasses like a pinkface ?

Will most likely chase it from time to time. But should be ok as long as it gets a break now and then or the tank is big enough to break up the chasing.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good insight guys thanks. I'm considering one of these guys for my new tank but was worried about my pistol shrimp. Looks like that probably won't be an issue (of course the pistol is not helpless like most shrimp).

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good insight guys thanks. I'm considering one of these guys for my new tank but was worried about my pistol shrimp. Looks like that probably won't be an issue (of course the pistol is not helpless like most shrimp).
I saw my tusk (and porcupine puffer) poke holes in and kill my whole cuc

Reefkeeper12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a 3 1/2" Aussie Harlequin Tusk as my 5 fish. Does great no picking on hermits or snails or any other tank mate. Currently with a niger trigger, fox face, clown and melanurus wrasse.
a4c65ae05efe5e567b35a62c41f2e0c0.jpg
979f6810237d49b8a6dcef037ac86c9a.jpg
Yeah mine was friendly too, till he hit 7 inches then he decided my damsels looked tasty one day and ate a bunch of them.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back