Has anyone that pre-ordered seen their ION Director yet?

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a nonsense further above, sorry to say it that directly

I know it is still the dream of some people in the hobby who hate GHL, but GHL is certainly not "going under" due to the IOND. GHL is doing great despite the not so great economical situation in this industry.

We sold meanwhile thousands of IONDs all over the world and the vast majority works great, you see only the complainers, not the satisfied people. And in those cases many times wrong usage was the case for the trouble.

Coming back to the next US shipment. It cleared customs this Wednesday, we expect it everyday in the warehouse. There are dozens of IOND included. They will be shipped ASAP. Then we should be through with the pre-orders.

Another announcement when we accept new orders going to follow.

Nothing else to add at this point.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im waiting for 2 years for my Ion Director. Payed 100% in august 2022.

So, when I'll get it here in Canada?

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cancelled my order order and got a refund on May 5th. Then on May 27th they sent me an email saying I was next in line for the delivery arriving that week. So it would have arrived within three years of my pre-order (6/29/2021).

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cancelled my order order and got a refund on May 5th. Then on May 27th they sent me an email saying I was next in line for the delivery arriving that week. So it would have arrived within three years of my pre-order (6/29/2021).
On the bright side, those getting it now saved on inflation :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to wait a year or so to see how this pans out. I am not (at all) on board with the consumables cost along with the amortized cost of the unit itself.

That said, I wasted $1500 + another $1K on test kits messing around with the ReefBot lab - which IMHO is a mess. May just be best to do what I have done for 20+ years and not worry about testing.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to wait a year or so to see how this pans out. I am not (at all) on board with the consumables cost along with the amortized cost of the unit itself.

That said, I wasted $1500 + another $1K on test kits messing around with the ReefBot lab - which IMHO is a mess. May just be best to do what I have done for 20+ years and not worry about testing.
Yikes! I had not looked into the ReefBot much, but this will stick in my mind when I look at reviews and do some heavy consideration.

I envy your non-testing approach. I feel I'm far too novice to employ that myself, but for the cost of all these testing solutions I'll just continue weekly testing with Hanna kits. 15 mins/week and $25/year per kit is minimal compared to the alternative.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wise decision. It is a bit confusing when as one reads this thread and it is said to be available / in use by fellow hobbyist but searching for reviews there is nothing current. Search on YouTube and Parkers is at the top.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I was watching your ReefBot thread too and I feel for you! I was wondering if you were going to try out CoralVue Maven when it comes out.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching your ReefBot thread too and I feel for you! I was wondering if you were going to try out CoralVue Maven when it comes out.
I don't want to hijack this thread... so I will try to be brief.

1 - Aside from the failure to provide consistent results, the ReefBot is 100% reliant on a connection to their hosted service, and a boat anchor if you lose connection or they fold up shop.

2 - I am not looking forward to integrating another ecosystem and think the overall Hydros form factor is a bit unwieldy. Not as silly as the Apex stuff, but not overall well thought out. That said, if the Maven can run standalone without requiring their cloud service and has the ability to output readings via an API or some other data interface, i would consider giving it a run. It would also very heavily depend on both consumables cost, accuracy and how often it would need to be calibrated and what the life/maintenance looked like.

I would much prefer the ION-D simply due to tight integration if things shake out well, but am really having a hard time with total cost of ownership over the life expectancy.

Last edited:

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I just got the reef factory Smart tester for testing phosphates, and it's been working great. It can only test one element. It also will test nitrate and magnesium. I'm waiting for the ion Director for those.

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that the warranty starts on the day that you place your order!

:)
I highly doubt that. Obviously, the warranty would start upon delivery. Things are bad enough without starting silly rumors like this. Too many gullible people out there will pass it along.

Looks like there was some basis in reality for that original statement.
IOND_warranty.png

I was troubleshooting my KHD and noticed the manual states the warranty starts when invoiced. That made me think of this post, so I downloaded the IOND manual.

Now I'm really glad I cancelled my order. Just kidding about that, I'm sure GHL is going to give everyone their two year warranty. Maybe there is some technical difference between invoice and receipt that I'm not aware of.

Edit:
I didn't mean to imply my KHD had warranty issues. It's actually been a solid pieced of equipment. I was looking at the manual because my reading were off after calibrating the PH probe for the first time since I got it running, almost 2 years ago. Turned out my reagent doser pump needed recalibration.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked my old purchases at GHL European store - the invoice date is always the date of shipping (as it should be) not the date of ordering (and paying if that´s actual). This is normal in European web shops - its always the day of shipping (delivered) that is the invoice date and mark the starting day of the warranty period - not the day the goods was ordered (and pre payed - if this is the case) The day you pay - you get a recipe for the paying but that´s not the same as an invoice.

Sincerely Lasse

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I checked my old purchases at GHL European store - the invoice date is always the date of shipping (as it should be) not the date of ordering (and paying if that´s actual). This is normal in European web shops - its always the day of shipping (delivered) that is the invoice date and mark the starting day of the warranty period - not the day the goods was ordered (and pre payed - if this is the case) The day you pay - you get a recipe for the paying but that´s not the same as an invoice.

Sincerely Lasse
I think you both are correct when it comes to the Probe. This is from the manual

The IOND Multi Ion Sensor is a wear item, it ages or wears while using. The sensor ages also a little bit during storage, however, storing up to 5 months is possible without a significant performance loss. The manufacturer
provides a Limited Warranty for 3 months from invoice date on respectively for 8 months from production date on,
whichever expires earlier.
For the production date see the first four digits of the S/N on sensor label, format: YYMM
(example 2305 = May 2023).

Last edited:

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse

Ah, interesting.

GHL USA doesn't provide us an invoice. They email a Sales Receipt when we pay, then a Packing Slip when the order ships. I suppose the packing slip date would be warranty start date. I checked my account history online before posting and there was no invoice info. They have the order number and the order details had an update section with the shipping date and tracking number.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tying the other thread here. Very interesting last few posts. If I read Matthias’ reply correctly, the limited warranty on the probe is only applies to the first probe purchase window and subsequent replacements do not restart the 90 day limited warranty.

Post in thread 'ION Director News!'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ion-director-news.986510/post-12666212

“Sorry to hear about your disappointment. Unfortunately there are a few customers who think that they get life long free replacements of IOND sensor when they already got other free replacements. A limited warranty does not start fresh with a free replacement.”

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exclusive to this situation, that is typically how warranty coverage works for most products unless otherwise specifically stated. Case law in the US supports this as well. The replacement is there to carry you to the end of the original warranty term. It does not come with its own new warranty. I don’t k know about other countries.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not exclusive to this situation, that is typically how warranty coverage works for most products unless otherwise specifically stated. Case law in the US supports this as well. The replacement is there to carry you to the end of the original warranty term. It does not come with its own new warranty. I don’t k know about other countries.
I would there is some accountability/responsibility for reasonable replacement time in there somewhere. Otherwise there’s no incentive to supply replacements until the final day of warranty. In the post, they lost a month (1/3rd warranty period) getting the replacement, failed after one week and warranty was void. Maybe that’s legal but not good business practice.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not going to get into the specifics of any individual case, none of us have all of the facts. I just wanted to clarify how warranty periods work in general if there are not more specific terms laid out in their wording.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back