Has anyone used bottled coralline algae?

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add all the coralline algae spores, which is what's in most bottles, but they won't grow until you have good stable water parameters. If you spend your time and money on having good stable waters parameters you won't be able to avoid coralline algea. I have used the Algaebarn stuff, but I already had coralline algae growing and I wanted to see if I could get some different colors. It worked I got some pinkish algae growth.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add all the coralline algae spores, which is what's in most bottles, but they won't grow until you have good stable water parameters. If you spend your time and money on having good stable waters parameters you won't be able to avoid coralline algea. I have used the Algaebarn stuff, but I already had coralline algae growing and I wanted to see if I could get some different colors. It worked I got some pinkish algae growth.
Thanks!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the pink and it did work eventually. Got some super bright pink patches popping up now. They seems to multiply real nice the couple days following my water changes. Def not necessary as you will eventually get coralline that comes in on some frags or something.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they work well as long as the tank is stable. But there is a big downside to coraline algae, it seems to love pumps, and sometimes your glass to.

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work. But a much better and faster solution is getting some scrapings from a trusted friend's tank, if available.
Coralline will definitely grow all over your rocks, powerheads, and glass, if you let it. It can be hard to remove too.
And, it will compete with stony corals for calcium and alkalinity.
But it's beautiful, and also inhibits most other algaes, so I try to establish it as fast as possible in any new tank.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work. But a much better and faster solution is getting some scrapings from a trusted friend's tank, if available.
Coralline will definitely grow all over your rocks, powerheads, and glass, if you let it. It can be hard to remove too.
And, it will compete with stony corals for calcium and alkalinity.
But it's beautiful, and also inhibits most other algaes, so I try to establish it as fast as possible in any new tank.
You don't just get coraline, you also get every pest he has, and a couple he didn't know about.

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your water parameters are consistent you be scraping it of your pumps, glass soon enough without adding it

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back