Has anyone used bottled coralline algae?

BRS
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

StlSalt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
You can add all the coralline algae spores, which is what's in most bottles, but they won't grow until you have good stable water parameters. If you spend your time and money on having good stable waters parameters you won't be able to avoid coralline algea. I have used the Algaebarn stuff, but I already had coralline algae growing and I wanted to see if I could get some different colors. It worked I got some pinkish algae growth.

OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
You can add all the coralline algae spores, which is what's in most bottles, but they won't grow until you have good stable water parameters. If you spend your time and money on having good stable waters parameters you won't be able to avoid coralline algea. I have used the Algaebarn stuff, but I already had coralline algae growing and I wanted to see if I could get some different colors. It worked I got some pinkish algae growth.
Thanks!

sp1187

The Great Enabler
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Corals.com

TheDuude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I tried the pink and it did work eventually. Got some super bright pink patches popping up now. They seems to multiply real nice the couple days following my water changes. Def not necessary as you will eventually get coralline that comes in on some frags or something.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It will work. But a much better and faster solution is getting some scrapings from a trusted friend's tank, if available.
Coralline will definitely grow all over your rocks, powerheads, and glass, if you let it. It can be hard to remove too.
And, it will compete with stony corals for calcium and alkalinity.
But it's beautiful, and also inhibits most other algaes, so I try to establish it as fast as possible in any new tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

burningmime

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It will work. But a much better and faster solution is getting some scrapings from a trusted friend's tank, if available.
Coralline will definitely grow all over your rocks, powerheads, and glass, if you let it. It can be hard to remove too.
And, it will compete with stony corals for calcium and alkalinity.
But it's beautiful, and also inhibits most other algaes, so I try to establish it as fast as possible in any new tank.
You don't just get coraline, you also get every pest he has, and a couple he didn't know about.

BRS

Do you keep "Reef Safe with Caution" fish?

• YES (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 211 62.8%
  • NO

Votes: 116 34.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.7%
Coral Frenzy