OP
OP
J

joejstutes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a Hawkfish but worried about them eating shrimp and snails. Don’t want to lose any Pistol Shrimp which would also cause lots of stress to Yellow Watchmen Gobies. Love Hawkfish but so worried about getting one.
I have him in a 90 gallon with a skunk cleaner and fire shrimp and will be adding my pistol shrimp once I get him a goby to pair up with.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coloration of reef fish has a lot to do with environmental factors. If there are no colorful corals or at least rocks with lots of coralline fish may fade in their colors to blend in.
And you also have the bachelor-effect (getting sloppy with looks) with single fish if there are no mates to impress. Hawkfish are some of the easier fish to pair as they change sex both ways. Males have more black than females and often also a more vibrant red.

In all of the photos the OP's hawkfish is sitting on top of a white scraper. Is it possible that he's blending into that? It's strange/striking how the white coloration extends up, then to a sharp line.

ETA: I have no idea if this is possible, just an observation. My flame hawk doesn't exhibit any color change other than becoming a little pale at night.

OP
OP
J

joejstutes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is him today with a light

330012C0-D3C0-4386-9179-E1561F56A1DE.jpeg

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame does that sometimes but always goes back to usual color-so I don’t worry about it!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back