Heater Controllers...

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys I need some guidance. I setup my tank in June. Since then I’ve had two BRS (inkbird) heater controller go glitchy on me.

They’ll suddenly (in the middle of the night) start alarming ‘HI’ high temp warning with a buzzer. The temp isn’t high. I can check it with my apex and my Hanna tester. The apex probe is next to the BRS probe.

So now that I’m on my second controller that’s getting weird... I need another option. I’ve heard Ranco, Baylite, etc...I need something that will run two outlets for heat.

In the meantime I’m running my two heating elements straight out of my EB832 (and seeing a much tighter temp swing) but I don’t want to burn the relay out prematurely.

Thanks in advance!!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys I need some guidance. I setup my tank in June. Since then I’ve had two BRS (inkbird) heater controller go glitchy on me.

They’ll suddenly (in the middle of the night) start alarming ‘HI’ high temp warning with a buzzer. The temp isn’t high. I can check it with my apex and my Hanna tester. The apex probe is next to the BRS probe.

So now that I’m on my second controller that’s getting weird... I need another option. I’ve heard Ranco, Baylite, etc...I need something that will run two outlets for heat.

In the meantime I’m running my two heating elements straight out of my EB832 (and seeing a much tighter temp swing) but I don’t want to burn the relay out prematurely.

Thanks in advance!!

How many watts do you need with one heater to keep your temp stable?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Ranco. It is not a hobby grade temperature controller that we often see for aquarium use. It is designed for use in commercial and industrial heating and cooling applications. I use my Ranco to do the heavy lifting and use my Apex as the failsafe.

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Ranco. It is not a hobby grade temperature controller that we often see for aquarium use. It is designed for use in commercial and industrial heating and cooling applications. I use my Ranco to do the heavy lifting and use my Apex as the failsafe.
Do you have a link to exactly what I’d need? I don’t understand the ranco product line.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How many watts do you need with one heater to keep your temp stable?
Answer depends on size of your tank. A 100 gallon= 250w 200 gal = 500wt My 660 gallon = 1200Wt

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to exactly what I’d need? I don’t understand the ranco product line.

If you’re handy, you can save yourself a few bucks and get the Ranco from Amazon, the heatshrink tubing from ETC Supply to insulate the temperature probe, and then wire it yourself. It’s actually quite straightforward.

ETC Supply can sell you a pre-wired one and install the heat shrink tubing for you as well, just select it from the drop down menu along with your outlet options.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to the pre-wired 2 stage controller, if you’re looking to control 2 heaters independently or want to control a heater and a fan/cooler. Again, be sure to add the heatshrink tubing to protect the temperature probe from saltwater. I have 2’ installed on mine.

Last edited:

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an ink bird off of amazon that will text me if something goes wrong, it was like $50.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to the pre-wired 2 stage controller, if you’re looking to control 2 heaters independently or want to controll a heater and a fan/cooler. Again, be sure to adc the heatshrink rptubing to protect the temperature probe from saltwater. I have 2’ installed on mine.

Appreciate this link. Been debating replacing my sub 1yr inkbird. It seems to be working, but I have nothing to compare to. Does the ranco hook up about the same way? Plug both heaters in and set a temp and good to go?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Answer depends on size of your tank. A 100 gallon= 250w 200 gal = 500wt My 660 gallon = 1200Wt

Tony,
I know the charts.

lol
This is the second bad InKbird controller thread we've been on in one week.

What about 2 Finnex controllers or two cobalt aquatics neo-stat heater controllers?

Too bad that we can't get the Schego thermostats in the USA to pair up with "their" German-made titanium heaters, that BRS sells. Guess they don't make a version for the States.

Pete80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two 100watt heaters , just in case one goes bad
dual Ranco would be probably best choice as they last long time
you can easily run 200watt from eb32 with no issues

Back