Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tony,
I know the charts.

lol
This is the second bad InKbird controller thread we've been on in one week.

What about 2 Finnex controllers or two cobalt aquatics neo-stat heater controllers?

Too bad that we can't get the Schego thermostats in the USA to pair up with "their" German-made titanium heaters, that BRS sells. Guess they don't make a version for the States.
I only use Finnex with built conreoller and probe which detects the tank temperature in true degrees. I have an inkbird on one of my 800w titaniums and it works perfect. Had it about a year now. As for Neo-therm. . . too many failing and/or even exploding. I would avoid them at all costs

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ABD3074F-919E-45AA-82B4-C71921A22A3D.jpeg

I wired in a pig tail to my ranco. Have three plugs, only use two. The wiring is easy, that video that someone posted above will help you.

Ranco is the way to go, don’t forget to heat shrink the probe.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...As for Neo-therm. . . too many failing and/or even exploding. I would avoid them at all costs
I read the post as the neo-stat controller, not the heaters themselves. I have a couple that I used on my tanks before I had a controller. Also used it on a QT and my mixing bucket. They list for $100 but it seams you can always find them for $50.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranco offers a titanium temp probe which is safe for saltwater, so no shrinkwrap is needed (possible point of failure). I've been using one for 15+ years.

I have not seen one listed on the Ranco site do you have a link or a part number?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Ranco. It is not a hobby grade temperature controller that we often see for aquarium use. It is designed for use in commercial and industrial heating and cooling applications. I use my Ranco to do the heavy lifting and use my Apex as the failsafe.
would you mind sharing what model # Ranco you are using as there are several to choose from - thanks!

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Bayite. It has 2 outlet but only control 1 heater though. There is a bayite that you can wire the outlet yourself

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
curious to know...what brand/model heater(s) did you go with for your 660 gallon tank? I went with two Finnex 900W (each) heaters for my 365G tank.
Also Finnex. They have never let me down

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used this one for 10 years straight. From my understanding it's a rebranded Ranco.

https://www.marinedepot.com/aqua-logic-digital-temperature-controller-dual-stage
are you running both a heater (how many watts?) and a chiller (how many watts?) on this controller and is it then connected to an APEX controller system (or some other controller system) or stand-alone as a fail-safe?
Ranco offers a titanium temp probe which is safe for saltwater, so no shrinkwrap is needed (possible point of failure). I've been using one for 15+ years.
where do I find the Ranco titanium temp probe setup? I couldn’t find it on their website. Is it already integrated into a controller or do you have to wire it?

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are under the Aqua Logic label, but are Ranco.

Can’t figure out why the price is so much higher if this is just a rebranded Ranco. The Rancho site is much less. I must be missing something here on features being offered?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running two 300 watt heaters. Both channels set to heat. Channel 1 set to 78, channel 2 set to 77. If the heater on channel 1 dies channel 2 will take over. This is then plugged into the apex, set to turn on at 78 and off at 79.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running two 300 watt heaters. Both channels set to heat. Channel 1 set to 78, channel 2 set to 77. If the heater on channel 1 dies channel 2 will take over. This is then plugged into the apex, set to turn on at 78 and off at 79.
Got it - like the approach, thanks for responding.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t figure out why the price is so much higher if this is just a rebranded Ranco. The Rancho site is much less. I must be missing something here on features being offered?

It sounds like you’re looking for a pre wired dual stage Ranco ETC-211000. You can get the probe shrink wrapped to protect it from the saltwater environment like I did... no titanium probe needed. I chose 2 ft of shrink wrap installed for an additional $3.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back