Heaters

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank with a 25 gallon sump, my heater is in the sump area and the temp probe is in the main display , but I’ve noticed recently that when the temp drops in the house the water temp drops as well even though the heater is set for 78 degrees.
Should I move the heater into another area ? Thank hesitate to get a bigger heater because I don’t want it to cause issues with my refugium or cause the water to be too warm in the sump
Idk ‍♀️
I need some suggestions and advice

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What size heater are you using? I would possibly run 2 with a controller/failsafe

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your heater does not have enough power to keep the tank at temperature when the house temp drops.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to upsize my basement tank heater for this very reason.

Last edited:

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The only reason I wouldn't put one in the return pump area is in case of an emergency where the water level drops your heater could burn out or worse. There are several thermometer controllers that are available, inkbird, finnex, innovative marine & jbj are examples. Most will allow you to run 2 heaters & have control/fail safes. Apex also will do this & very well. Best of luck :)

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 65, I have a ink bird controller with a 200w BRS titanium heater in the sump. Temp probes are in sump as well. Control is set at 79.5 I also have a 100w eheim connected to the same controller. The eheim is in my overflow and it’s onboard thermostat is set to 78. I you put a heater in the overflow, turn your pump off and let your overflow drain down, put the heater below this water line. If you place it below the waterline of a full overflow, your heater will be dry docked whenever your pump is off.

The BRS heater does most of the work, but the eheim is there for when the temp dips quickly (big water change) or if the BRS heater dies (which my first one did in less than a month). This only worked after I calibrated both the controller and the eheim.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could also be a return pump thing. If turnover is lower, then the water cannot get heated in time to make it back to the tank. I am not a fan of running 10x or 15x through my sump so sometimes on cold days, then 5-6x turnover might make the tank colder if I don't plan for it.

I always have the temp probe in the display. I have a handful of heaters in the sump, but at least one in the tank (hidden out). This serves a few purposes, but mostly that if the sump fails, return pump fails or whatever, the tank stays warm and oxygenated along with flow pumps on another circuit. This also helps on cold days when warm sump water cannot make it back to the tank fast enough.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkbird C929A Wi-Fi Aquarium Temperature Controller with 1200W Dual Probe Thermometer for Fish Tank, Water Terrarium

This is the one I use. Eventually I'm just going to put a Y on it so u can attach two.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly suggest that people spend the few extra dollars on a Ranco. Ranco is industrial grade while an inkbird is entry-level hobby grade. The price different is not even that much. At least take a look.

In any case, you can run power strips off of those with as many heaters as they will take - I use 5 on my Ranco (maybe 6 on one tank?).

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank with a 25 gallon sump, my heater is in the sump area and the temp probe is in the main display , but I’ve noticed recently that when the temp drops in the house the water temp drops as well even though the heater is set for 78 degrees.
Should I move the heater into another area ? Thank hesitate to get a bigger heater because I don’t want it to cause issues with my refugium or cause the water to be too warm in the sump
Idk ‍♀️
I need some suggestions and advice
As others have suggested- run 2 heaters if you can or one oversized heater. Your heater is not sufficient. Buy a secondary temp controller. Set your internal heater thermostats to 79 and your new temp controller to 78. That will create an extra layer of protection.

heaters suck (to be blunt). Any heater anyone swears by someone else will tell you it killed their fish and stole their wife. So redundancy and a controller (which also get mixed reviews) is the best plan. I’d also suggest, especially if I had no controller, to set your calendar to replace it yearly even if it seems fine.

As for the actual heater- I’d stay away from glass personally but past that no need to go crazy if you get a controller.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I highly suggest that people spend the few extra dollars on a Ranco. Ranco is industrial grade while an inkbird is entry-level hobby grade. The price different is not even that much. At least take a look.

In any case, you can run power strips off of those with as many heaters as they will take - I use 5 on my Ranco (maybe 6 on one tank?).
I will absolutely look into these :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back