Hello everyone. I am Brandon Simmasouk!

Souky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I hope you all are well! I am 5 months into the saltwater hobby and I am already learning so much. I have a 20 gallon and a 50 gallon that has a 20 gallon sump. I am hoping to learn a bunch from this forum. To break the ice, how do I get rid of the top oily film of my nano 20gal aquarium? I have a protein skimmer on it but there is still some oily film, likely due to me overfeeding. The nano powerhead is already pointing towards the surface making small waves but not enough. How do I get rid of it? Unless I have a 2nd powerhead for my 20gal nano, I do not have this film on my 50 gal because there is enough surface waves from my one powerhead but the powerhead in the 20gallon is not strong enough to blast the top oily film to where it can come down and reach the bubble magus QQ1 skimmer!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

OP
OP
Souky

Souky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R.

I’m assuming there is no overflow on that small of a tank so the best way is to increase the surface agitation. Can you move the power head closer to the surface to get more agitation?
That is correct. I have now moved the powerhead to be parallel with the surface instead of pointing 45 degrees up at surface. We will see what this does for now and if no solution then I may just attain another powerhead.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is correct. I have now moved the powerhead to be parallel with the surface instead of pointing 45 degrees up at surface. We will see what this does for now and if no solution then I may just attain another powerhead.

You may need to remove much of the existing film build up so that the powerhead agitation can keep up (or at least slow down the surface film build up). If you submerge an empty cup at the water line so that just a small trickle can flow into the cup you should be able to manually remove most of the film build up. Additionally, you may want to consider the Tunze Comline DOC 9001.

OP
OP
Souky

Souky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to remove much of the existing film build up so that the powerhead agitation can keep up (or at least slow down the surface film build up). If you submerge an empty cup at the water line so that just a small trickle can flow into the cup you should be able to manually remove most of the film build up. Additionally, you may want to consider the Tunze Comline DOC 9001.
Thank you! Coincidentally, I just performed this because I was cleaning out the protein skimmer and used the empty cup to reboot the skimmer. We will see if the film goes away!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! Coincidentally, I just performed this because I was cleaning out the protein skimmer and used the empty cup to reboot the skimmer. We will see if the film goes away!

Sticking with pellets over frozen food and regular water changes can also help. Good luck!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 95 59.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back