Hello everyone!

saltycow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone my name is Bree I am new to reef keeping and saltwater for that matter

I have 2 aquariums,
First one is my 90 gallon reef. It has many cleanup crew members. It is stocked with 2 clownfish a hippo tang Coral banded shrimp mandarin fish and an anemone. I hope to get maybe one or 2 more fish. Maybe another clown pair?
It has various Corals and things I truly can’t remember what were
It’s thriving beyond what I thought!
Second is 120 gallon that will be for predators.
Currently in that lives a blue spotted puffer and a snowflake eel.
I plan to get a Black Niger and possibly a lion fish‍

Glad to join so I can talk with fellow reefers. Since I’m new I will have loads of questions so excited to talk about fishies. I look forward to learning all I can from each of you!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Don't try two clown pairs in any tank under 8 feet long (even then it is hit or miss), even if different species, it is 99.9% probable to end up as one clown at worst, three beat-up males and one female at best. Clowns are very territorial and much, much tougher than they look.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

OP
OP
S

saltycow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Don't try two clown pairs in any tank under 8 feet long (even then it is hit or miss), even if different species, it is 99.9% probable to end up as one clown at worst, three beat-up males and one female at best. Clowns are very territorial and much, much tougher than they look.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
Correct, not sure about my clowns. They mostly hang out at the top right corner with the tang. It’s like the 3 amigos. I mostly look at rock and Coral because they just hang in their corner I don’t want to overstock but I figured try 2 young clowns and if anyone starts picking on anyone I could move them to the 120?
I’m still not sure, I’m looking into others as well. I met a guy who has 16 clowns together they all seemed to get along okay so I figured give it a shot?
Any ideas on what would be a better fit?
I absolutely adore the clowns but I’m open to about any fish

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone my name is Bree I am new to reef keeping and saltwater for that matter

I have 2 aquariums,
First one is my 90 gallon reef. It has many cleanup crew members. It is stocked with 2 clownfish a hippo tang Coral banded shrimp mandarin fish and an anemone. I hope to get maybe one or 2 more fish. Maybe another clown pair?

Glad to join so I can talk with fellow reefers. Since I’m new I will have loads of questions so excited to talk about fishies. I look forward to learning all I can from each of you!
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Goodluck on this new adventure!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, not sure about my clowns. They mostly hang out at the top right corner with the tang. It’s like the 3 amigos. I mostly look at rock and Coral because they just hang in their corner I don’t want to overstock but I figured try 2 young clowns and if anyone starts picking on anyone I could move them to the 120?
I’m still not sure, I’m looking into others as well. I met a guy who has 16 clowns together they all seemed to get along okay so I figured give it a shot?
Any ideas on what would be a better fit?
I absolutely adore the clowns but I’m open to about any fish
When clowns, or most fish really, are juveniles they get along with conspecifics and hang together for safety. As they mature things change. It is just the way of nature. Think of a herd of horses, you have one stallion, a bunch of mares and a fleet of foals/colts. Once a young male horse starts to mature he is driven from the herd. Flip it for a clownfish you have one female that is noticeably larger and a harem of males. Those males will tend to stay very near and in the same host as the female. Reproduction is a very powerful force in nature, that female will try to kill any other female within its territory or any male that attempts to transition. A small body of water is not the best place for rutting exercises.

I would say that you could add lots of different fish to that tank like a wrasse (a six-line or coris is useful as well as active and should leave your coral-banded shrimp alone as long as it is well fed), just about any goby or dartfish even another surgeonfish that is not a similar body type to your hippo.

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 2 aquariums,

Wow, new and went straight for 2 big tanks... luckily, there is a ton of good info here. Welcome aboard.

Attachments

• Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png
    Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
S

saltycow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, new and went straight for 2 big tanks... luckily, there is a ton of good info here. Welcome aboard
Wow, new and went straight for 2 big tanks... luckily, there is a ton of good info here. Welcome aboard.
Yep crazy ya think?
I have been keeping freshwater fish since forever ago, I went from 9 aquariums Down to 2 salts and 2 fresh. It’s like a weight was lifted from my shoulders! A new learning curve though so that’s fun!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back