Hello everyone

dlightning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I just started a 120g tank which I want to be sps dominant. I started cycling 5 weeks ago using the red sea reef mature kit and will continue with the red sea reef care program.

I have 6 t5 go bulbs (3 54w 10K daylights and 3 460nm royal blue), apex 1,982 gph return pump, hydro evolution 1500 gph circulation pump, and a bubble magus NAC6 protein skimmer.

The water is mag 1460, alk 10.4, cal 500, nitrate .2, phosphate .5, and salinity 1.026.

I am quarantining a lawnmower Blenny and a royal gramma. In the main tank I have an acro and a montipora that the guy who installed my tank gave me a week ago.

I am new to keeping sps and hope to learn a lot from everyone.
20170513_213937.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R...looks like you're off to a great start.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
dlightning

dlightning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a powder blue tang and placed it into a 20g quarantine tank. I am going to add cupramine, but I am worried about the filter cartridge in my HOB. I took the carbon out of the cartridge and left the filter floss. I have read the filter floss can remove the copper. Should I take out the cartridge all together and leave just the biowheel? I also have a sponge filter inside the QT.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a powder blue tang and placed it into a 20g quarantine tank. I am going to add cupramine, but I am worried about the filter cartridge in my HOB. I took the carbon out of the cartridge and left the filter floss. I have read the filter floss can remove the copper. Should I take out the cartridge all together and leave just the biowheel? I also have a sponge filter inside the QT.

Sorry I can't be direct help, but @melypr1985 will know.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

filter floss can't remove copper. There are filter pads that are made to remove copper and other chemicals in the water, but just filter floss on it's own will not. You can leave it there. Though you would probably do better with a simple sponge in that filter that has more surface area.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

I love the aquascape :)

OP
OP
dlightning

dlightning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
filter floss can't remove copper. There are filter pads that are made to remove copper and other chemicals in the water, but just filter floss on it's own will not. You can leave it there. Though you would probably do better with a simple sponge in that filter that has more surface area.

Thank you for your quick response. I believe I should also do a fresh water dip and treat with prazipro. If I do all three, in which order would be best? So far, I can see two white dots on the powder blue tang. One on the body and one on a fin.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and digging the aquascape!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your quick response. I believe I should also do a fresh water dip and treat with prazipro. If I do all three, in which order would be best? So far, I can see two white dots on the powder blue tang. One on the body and one on a fin.

You can do a freshwater dip at any time during the QT process. If you want to do it to confirm flukes are present or because the tang is having difficulty breathing, then do it now. It's not really something you need to do to every new fish. If you are going to treat with prazi, and velvet is not suspected, then just skip it and go ahead and treat with the prazi.

If you can, complete the 30 days of copper, remove copper, then do the two doses of prazi 5-7 days apart. You can safely combine prazi with copper treatment if you need to do so, just be sure to have plenty of O2 in the tank using an air stone or small powerhead.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back