Hello from Austria

easily_fishstracted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi forum, i am james, a complete and utter neophyte in the aquarium arena.

after going to my town's aquarium about once a week for the last year (thanks to a young child and a very nice year-pass discount), i've decided to bring some reef home with me.

i started out with the idea of getting a tiny nano-tank and doing so on the cheap (only 150 euro!) and then as I did more and more research came to understand that while the nano size would have to stay for now (not enough room in the place to support a bigger footprint), the budget would be significantly more than 150.. and so it begins. First decision was that I wanted as much stability as possible in a nano, particularly given the rest of the family's ambivalence to this hobby and my need to travel regularly for work. I also wanted something big enough for fish. First decision was the tank: red sea reefer nano.

Anyways, because of the anticipated cost increase i'm staggering the purchases out over a few months, during which i'm continuing to read up and get acclimated. thus far i've purchased the following for a reefer nano build:

vortech mp10 qd powerhead
sicce syncra silent return pump
bubble magus c3.5 skimmer

still to be procured:

the tank of course
kessil a160
computer (profilux 3.1 if i can find a used one, 4 if not. As a side issue, if neptune didn't obviously have zero interest in making their products attractive to the EU market this would be a tougher decision)
heater (aqua medic? no idea)

still to be decided:

doser? (probably after a few months)
media reactor? (still not sure about how to handle filtration)
???

I'm looking at starting the tank with live rock, then introducing some LPS and invertebrates, and gradually introducing a couple clownfish or similar. I am not looking to overwhelm the tank, and think from a livestock perspective between 2 and 3 fish in total.

Very interested in any comments on this plan, and especially relevant tips or things to be aware of (besides having no experience in this and immediately going for a salt tank).

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi James,
welcome and good to see some more people from Europe! Seems like you have a decent plan, better to invest a bit more in reliable equipment, this will save you money and heartache on the long run!
I run an Apex, but with the new upgrade, the profilux seems like a very good choice, a controller/computer was one of the best investments I did.

Take your time and you'll be fine!

Viel Spass!

OP
OP
easily_fishstracted

easily_fishstracted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi James,
welcome and good to see some more people from Europe! Seems like you have a decent plan, better to invest a bit more in reliable equipment, this will save you money and heartache on the long run!
I run an Apex, but with the new upgrade, the profilux seems like a very good choice, a controller/computer was one of the best investments I did.

Take your time and you'll be fine!

Viel Spass!

Thanks! I was kind of wondering whether neptune is just giving up on the eu, as Profilux seems to be significantly more affordable (the p4 megaset is running eur 750 vs. 865 for the apex 2016 set (and who knows if the new energy bar will ever make it to the EU). if it weren't for the PC-only issue and the VERY GERMAN-looking software interfaces, it would be a complete no-brainer I feel.

The big things for me on the computing, for at least the beginning, are the monitoring and maybe dosing, esp. during travel, maybe feeding during travel, and definitely leak sensors. I'm still coming to grips with the idea of the controller for various other things, which seem also to a large degree in a nano tank not necessary, but still learning.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Keep us posted with your build with lots of photos! :)

What size tank are you planning?

OP
OP
easily_fishstracted

easily_fishstracted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Keep us posted with your build with lots of photos! :)

What size tank are you planning?

thanks! the red sea reefer nano is a 21 gallon tank + 7 gallon sump. this is about as much room as I can negotiate in our current apartment..

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh yes I cannot read, I was looking for a liter or gallon size! That’s a nice size! :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back