Hello from Humboldt CA

SirenBethany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a new 29G Reef Tank. Pic is next day after running the filter to clear the cloudiness from the sand. I used a mix of dry reef rock and dry CaribSea life rock, 20lbs sand and 21.5G of water mixed accordingly with Instant Ocean for Marine aquarium. Sand used was CaribSea Arag-Alive (Fiji Pink); I pre rinsed one of the 10 pound bags but not the other. Cloudiness cleared by the next morning after running an influx bay filter overnight. The filter has carbon pellets, bio balls, and three different filter pads (yellow, black, blue), plus has a wave maker included so there is a good current and circulation of water. I added the two packets of bio magnifier that came included with the sand (one pack per 10# bag) when mixing the water. There is still some scum and haze left but not much. I will be adding nitrifying bacteria in the next few days after the haze has cleared sufficiently and I can turn the filter off to allow the bacteria to set up. No lights running yet of course, hopefully I won't need a complete dark stage and have to cover the tank. I will run a skimmer for a day or so to get the frothy gunk cleared and may agitate the sand and wipe the inside of the tank walls to get all the haze cleared. Will update soon with progress.
IMG_20231023_094719541.jpg
IMG_20231023_100022184.jpg
IMG_20231023_101053939.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
S

SirenBethany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a new 29G Reef Tank. Pic is next day after running the filter to clear the cloudiness from the sand. I used a mix of dry reef rock and dry CaribSea life rock, 20lbs sand and 21.5G of water mixed accordingly with Instant Ocean for Marine aquarium. Sand used was CaribSea Arag-Alive (Fiji Pink); I pre rinsed one of the 10 pound bags but not the other. Cloudiness cleared by the next morning after running an influx bay filter overnight. The filter has carbon pellets, bio balls, and three different filter pads (yellow, black, blue), plus has a wave maker included so there is a good current and circulation of water. I added the two packets of bio magnifier that came included with the sand (one pack per 10# bag) when mixing the water. There is still some scum and haze left but not much. I will be adding nitrifying bacteria in the next few days after the haze has cleared sufficiently and I can turn the filter off to allow the bacteria to set up. No lights running yet of course, hopefully I won't need a complete dark stage and have to cover the tank. I will run a skimmer for a day or so to get the frothy gunk cleared and may agitate the sand and wipe the inside of the tank walls to get all the haze cleared. Will update soon with progress.
IMG_20231023_094719541.jpg
IMG_20231023_100022184.jpg
IMG_20231023_101053939.jpg
This will be a mixed reef tank including fish.

OP
OP
S

SirenBethany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice what fish are you planning on ?
Pair of true Percula to start off the tank, then hopefully in time we can add a blenny, goby and pistol shrimp, royal Gramma perhaps, a couple urchins, soft corals, SPS, LPS all in good time of course and slowly. My daughter wants a pistol shrimp and I'm not sure I do lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back