Hello from Ohio...

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would start here in the Meet & Greet Forum... I am a complete NEWBIE when it comes to Saltwater. I have 8 FW tanks at the moment with almost 100 aquatic inhabitants.

I have wanted to do a reef tank for years, and I finally decided it was time to buckle down and do it. I have visited a few forums, but this one appears to be pretty active, so I decided to give it a try.

I got into aquariums when my kids bought me a 5 gallon desktop tank. I almost gave up as I got some BAD advice from my LFS, and I killed more fish than I care to admit. But I ultimately found a good forum and got some good advice and became successful and once that happened, I was hooked.

So, as I said, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to SW, so I intend to ask a lot of questions, and hopefully someday I'll be able to answer a few.

Thus far, I have purchased a refractometer, some salt, an RODI system, and some dry rock. I have a few tanks sitting around, but haven't decided for sure which one I will use, or if I will buy another one. I have read that getting dry rock ready for a reef tank can take a month or two, so I am not super concerned with that decision yet as I've got some time! One thing I have already learned in this hobby is that patience is golden.

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, Sounds like you're off to a good start! Like you said patience is key, nothing good comes fast in this hobby. Research and if you can't find it just ask. Lot's of knowledge and friendly people here. ;)

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. It's a great forum with lots of shared knowledge. I started with dry rock and just let the tank cycle. Didn't have any issues. It was pretty clean rock except a couple pcs of pukani. After 10 months, everything is maturing nicely. And yes, slow is good, even though I can't say I was slow....

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2017-02-07 18.28.50.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back