Hello from Wisconsin

Malum Argenteum

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 24, 2021
Messages
658
Reaction score
693
Location
Central WI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I'm a long time reef (and planted tank) keeper -- since the early 90s, when CFL lighting was the hot new tech, but T12VHO actinics and 6.5K halides were the standby. We were still trying to identify coral to genus then, using Puterbaugh and Borneman's "Practical Guide to Corals", and plenum denitrification was the way of the future.

Fun fact: that era in reefkeeping was twice as far from the present as it was from the publication of Robert P.L. Straughan's "Keeping LIve Corals and Invertebrates" (1976), in which he advocated transferring corals into a wide-mouth fish bowl so they could be taken outside for sun.

My current tank, which still also houses just a couple corals I've had since the early 90s, as well as some (legally, of course) wild collected Florida live rock, is a 90g running T5HO, a Simplicity skimmer, and a sulfur denitrator.
 
Hello all. I'm a long time reef (and planted tank) keeper -- since the early 90s, when CFL lighting was the hot new tech, but T12VHO actinics and 6.5K halides were the standby. We were still trying to identify coral to genus then, using Puterbaugh and Borneman's "Practical Guide to Corals", and plenum denitrification was the way of the future.

Fun fact: that era in reefkeeping was twice as far from the present as it was from the publication of Robert P.L. Straughan's "Keeping LIve Corals and Invertebrates" (1976), in which he advocated transferring corals into a wide-mouth fish bowl so they could be taken outside for sun.

My current tank, which still also houses just a couple corals I've had since the early 90s, as well as some (legally, of course) wild collected Florida live rock, is a 90g running T5HO, a Simplicity skimmer, and a sulfur denitrator.
Welcome & WOW!!

AWESOME history and didn't know any of it. Glad you joined. Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). I would *love* to see your tank photos!
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif
 
Hello all. I'm a long time reef (and planted tank) keeper -- since the early 90s, when CFL lighting was the hot new tech, but T12VHO actinics and 6.5K halides were the standby. We were still trying to identify coral to genus then, using Puterbaugh and Borneman's "Practical Guide to Corals", and plenum denitrification was the way of the future.

Fun fact: that era in reefkeeping was twice as far from the present as it was from the publication of Robert P.L. Straughan's "Keeping LIve Corals and Invertebrates" (1976), in which he advocated transferring corals into a wide-mouth fish bowl so they could be taken outside for sun.

My current tank, which still also houses just a couple corals I've had since the early 90s, as well as some (legally, of course) wild collected Florida live rock, is a 90g running T5HO, a Simplicity skimmer, and a sulfur denitrator.
Hello and welcome
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new