Hello from Wisconsin

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I'm a long time reef (and planted tank) keeper -- since the early 90s, when CFL lighting was the hot new tech, but T12VHO actinics and 6.5K halides were the standby. We were still trying to identify coral to genus then, using Puterbaugh and Borneman's "Practical Guide to Corals", and plenum denitrification was the way of the future.

Fun fact: that era in reefkeeping was twice as far from the present as it was from the publication of Robert P.L. Straughan's "Keeping LIve Corals and Invertebrates" (1976), in which he advocated transferring corals into a wide-mouth fish bowl so they could be taken outside for sun.

My current tank, which still also houses just a couple corals I've had since the early 90s, as well as some (legally, of course) wild collected Florida live rock, is a 90g running T5HO, a Simplicity skimmer, and a sulfur denitrator.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I'm a long time reef (and planted tank) keeper -- since the early 90s, when CFL lighting was the hot new tech, but T12VHO actinics and 6.5K halides were the standby. We were still trying to identify coral to genus then, using Puterbaugh and Borneman's "Practical Guide to Corals", and plenum denitrification was the way of the future.

Fun fact: that era in reefkeeping was twice as far from the present as it was from the publication of Robert P.L. Straughan's "Keeping LIve Corals and Invertebrates" (1976), in which he advocated transferring corals into a wide-mouth fish bowl so they could be taken outside for sun.

My current tank, which still also houses just a couple corals I've had since the early 90s, as well as some (legally, of course) wild collected Florida live rock, is a 90g running T5HO, a Simplicity skimmer, and a sulfur denitrator.
Welcome & WOW!!

AWESOME history and didn't know any of it. Glad you joined. Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). I would *love* to see your tank photos!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

69reefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello and welcome

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back