Hello!!

kennydoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, my name is Kendall and it's great to meet all of you!

I am not new to the saltwater reef hobby, but I am new to the forum pages. I decided to join Reef2Reef so that i can interact with fellow reefers, while also asking for help and putting in my knowledge and personal experiences with everybody here.

I have recently gotten into under water photography with my Iphone, and have been using the livestock in my reef tank as my models. Of course, that's not the easiest thing in the world especially when it comes to a pair of Clarkii Clownfish who never hold still enough to get a good shot :( But that doesn't stop me from trying to snap a shot of those ninja fish.

speaking of fish, let me introduce you to the one's i currently own:

the first species i ever got was my Engineer Goby, who's name is Comet. By far my favorite in the tank, and that's saying something since i usually NEVER choose a favorite. But I've been in love with her since the day i got her, when she was only two inches long with a little white stripe on her side. She does not look like that anymore!

My Yellow Clown Goby, named Peanut. this little fish is tiny but mighty, I tell you that. Sometimes i forget i even have her until it comes time to feed and she speeds out from the rock work to get her HUGE pieces of food that are meant for the other fish. but she manages to eat it. she is everybody's favorite in the tank.

Another favorite is my Lawn Mower Blenny, who is yet to have a nice name. Can anybody think of one? Everybody enjoys watching him "dance" with the glass and "Kiss" the algae off of the rocks and glass. Luckily for me (and him), he takes frozen and dried fish food as well, so I never have to worry about him running out of algae since he takes regular fish food!

Next, I have my velvet damsel, Flo. I originally got her because she was pretty, and because my LFS said that she would be peaceful. Boy was i wrong.. at first? When i brought her and her "sister" home, she immediately killed her "sister", which was strange to me considering they were in the same tank together at the store. nonetheless, i was terrified that she would kill another fish! But now with all of the fish and inverts i own, she has ever touched another fish? She no longer chases them away, or picks on them... not even new members to the mini ocean! So, we just assumed she was salty ;) over something her sister did.

Then there are my two Clarkii Clownfish, Fabio and Chico. They are named after all of the names that Dory called Nemo in Finding Nemo. I thought they were better than the generic Nemo and Marlin for pet clownfish, so the female is Chico and the male is Fabio! These are the two biggest fish in my tank other than the engineer goby, the female about five inches and the male about four inches. They are super fun to watch, and they've even had babies once!

Next comes my newest member to the tank, my Valentini Puffer, named Pudashio (pronounced PU-DOSH-IO). He is still shy when it comes to the other tank members, but he's slowly coming out to the front of the tank more instead of hiding, as i've had him for about a week. Of course, he loves when i put some seaweed on the veggie clip, so i have been bribing him to come to the front with that. and yes, he is reef safe! he was in a tank with coral and inverts when i got him, and he hasn't picked on my own since i've had him, either!

Lastly, my four rescue fish... I recently bought a 100 gallon tank, in which was not taken care of at all. I will post a thread later on with pictures and an thorough explanation on the situation and how i managed to revive it. Living inside of the tank were four tiny fish, and i didn't even know two of them were in the nasty muck water, so i was surprised when i found them!

the first fish was a tiny Snowflake clownfish, which i have named Patches since i brought him home. I have had him and is tank mates for about a month, and have gotten them all fat and happy and healthy. Patches is like the puppy of my tank as he always follows my finger along the glass, comes up to the surface when i feed them, eats out of my hand, and even swims in between my fingers when i'm cleaning the tank. I absolutely adore Patches, and i'm grateful he lived through the stressed out weekend of the move and new fish.

the next fish was a Staghorn? Damsel? at least that's what i assume she is. She is a silvery-white in color with yellow fins and face. I have decided to name her lemon, and shes one of the fish i didn't know was in the tank when i first picked it up because she was covered in grey goop-like algae, and she was barely swimming. she was terrified of everything when i had to put all four of them in my old 55 gallon while i was reconstructing the new tank. but luckily she lived, and I will show a picture of her later for help identifying her.

The next fish i rescued was a Tomato Clownfish, whom i named Ketchup, and i adore her. She is one of my favorite fish in the tank ( I say that about all of them OK i love them all), and she is inseparable from the snowflake clownfish, Patches. Her and patches swim together, stay by the same rock together, eat together-- EVERYTHING. I am actually hoping they will pair up and i can have some kind of morph, if that's even possible, but i feel like it is considering that they act like a pair as it is.

and the last fish i rescued was a Pajama Cardinal, which was the other fish i didn't know or see in the tank until we drained almost all of the water out. We named her Fifi, and when we got her, she had barely any fins, and even now that they've grown back, they are a little wonky. I plan on getting two more of her kind, in hopes that they will school up because i feel bad that she's all alone. I actually have seen her hanging out with my Puffer since i brought him home, which is an interesting duo.

As for my inverts, I have a Purple Lobster named Rock (rock lobster), a boxer crab, and two red legged hermit crabs. I hope to get more livestock soon, as my tank is so big i can barely find any of my livestock now! they went from a 55 to a 100 gallon, with 13 pounds of rock to 65 pounds, a hexagon tank to a rectangular tank. My water parameters have surprisingly been much easier to keep stable in this bigger tank, and I hope i can share with you guys the reconstruction of my 100 gallons, as it is still a work in progress. but i love the hobby and the tank makes me very happy.

It is great to be here and I hope i can meet some amazing people within the hobby!!!:):p

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy (1).gif
#WelcometoR2R

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey kendall,welcome to the reef2reef family.i personally love to see the ladies get into this awesome hobby and i'll tell you why.i have been in a reef club for the last 15 years or more.in that time I have seen only a dozen at most girls join the club.of those maybe a handful have ever attended a meeting and when they did the reef nerds as I call them(they know I call them that)had no idea how to act.they were like shy little school boys with heads down and no eye contact and not a word spoken.kinda like rajesh in the first few seasons of big bang theory.we have two currently and the guys now days are a little more comfortable around them not needing that 5th beer to start a conversation.with that said I know you will enjoy this wonderful site and the attention of the guy's and gals that are members.no reef nerds here kendall.
please post some pics of comet,peanut,flo,fabio,chico,patches,ketchup,lemon,pudachio,the rock and fifi.as for that no named lawn mower blenny we can hold a name that blenny contest here on r2r.until that time i'll call him STAN.

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for that no named lawn mower blenny we can hold a name that blenny contest here on r2r.until that time i'll call him STAN.
(lol)
For the Lawn Mower blenny, names:
I was thinking something like lawn mower brands...

Toro
Snapper
JD (John Deere)

Ect... ;Wacky

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Kendell,

First off, welcome to the forum where you will meet lots of lovely people, who have a vast knowledge in anything you can think of. I’m certain there is nothing, that could go unanswered, or solved for you. If you ever need anything please feel free to reach out to me, I would always help.

Secondly, the names you have given your fish are adorable and creative, specially your puffer lol so adorable. It would be fun to come up with a name for your lawn mower Blenny. When I asked my niece what would be a good name for a lawn mower Blenny (she doesn’t know yet, but told her how the fish kinda acts, she thought of Toro, since lol they make all of the lawn mower products, but I said that one had been mentioned already since the post above me, so we thought of Grass Muncher)

We would all love to see pics of your reef, and how it progresses. I wish you very well on this epic adventure we are all in. Oh and lol what intially sparked your love and interest for this hobby?

Sincerely
Sarah

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back