Hello

TenBears

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to reefing, but have been interested for many years. I have a 90 gallon tank, that has been up about 7 months. After, about 2 months I started adding fish. One lasted about 24 hours and died. The other 2 died a week or so later. I found out that the refractometer I was using wasn't accurate, and my salinity was to high. I fixed the issue and got 3 more fish. They didn't last long and started dieing one by one. I checked my parameters, took samples to my LFS and they checked them. All was good. I had 2 clown fish. One lives a couple of weeks and died. The other lived. A couple of weeks later I bought another one. After a couple of week's I saw my first clown fish looked to have a white film on them. It died thenbthe other died the next day. The LFS suggested I send a sample to triton in Germany. I took my remaining 2 fish back to the LFS to keep while I get my tank straightened out. They found I had a high level of Lithium, and Sulfur. I was using used food grade 55 gallon barrels for both RODI and salt water. I got on a Facebook page and asked what the issue could be and I got from diseases to parameters. And was told to make a QT tank. Some said I need to cycle the QT tank and others said no. I need to know from someone that has been doing it for years to help me out.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I have set up several QT tanks and they r usually only up and running for 4 to 5 days when I get fish in. I add biospera bacteria to it and have had no issues, I do check or ask what the salinity is of the water the fish were originally in and match my QT tank salinity to that, then thru water changes I bring up the salinity to match my DT.

Here is probably the best info on QT’ing fish compliments of @HotRocks , @4FordFamily , and @Humblefish.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

Last edited:

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! We’re glad you’re here! I am sorry to hear about your challenges, frustration, and loss of fish. You will find a lot of knowledge here and a great community!

OP
OP
TenBears

TenBears

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! We’re glad you’re here! I am sorry to hear about your challenges, frustration, and loss of fish. You will find a lot of knowledge here and a great community!
Thanks. I had over $600 in fish die on me. It's sad for them but it hurts me because I feel like they are my children.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I had over $600 in fish die on me. It's sad for them but it hurts me because I feel like they are my children.

I truly understand and can definitely empathize as can many others on this forum who are also very passionate about their fish, corals, and other livestock. I try to use those emotions to push me to learn more, limit the risks, and be more prepared to be successful in the future. We’re cheering for you!

OP
OP
TenBears

TenBears

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly understand and can definitely empathize as can many others on this forum who are also very passionate about their fish, corals, and other livestock. I try to use those emotions to push me to learn more, limit the risks, and be more prepared to be successful in the future. We’re cheering for you!
Thanks. I started a QT tank, but do I need to cycle it? What all do I need for it? I have had so much different advice that I don't know what to do.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Looks like your are starting to get a handle on things:) Sorry about the fish passing:(

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rough start. Hopefully, all that bad luck is behind you.

Welcome
spockwelcome.jpg

OP
OP
TenBears

TenBears

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi TenBears and Welcome to R2R!
You have received good info and direction so far. The last post didn't show a photo if one was attached. My first impressions are there is something going on with your setup or source water. It could be any number of things causing your woes. It would greatly help if you provide ALL, and I do mean all info on what you have that comprises your setup. This is to include every bit of minutia, including make and model of everything in your system and your husbandry techniques. Clear, complete, and high-resolution photos go along way in helping us help you.
This can be licked.
Hit Like and Share often!

Last edited:
Back