Help about my stand !! Please

Ariton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build new stand for 72 x 24 x 18 tall acrylic tank, around 130gal. I have the stand but I like to build something more elegant, like Red Sea Stands.
So I was wondering if I can make it only from 3/4 plywood. Without any 2x4 or 1x6.
I’ll post picture how I was thinking to build it.
I believe it will hold 99.99% but I want to be 100% sure.
Please don’t judge me I am not engineer lol.
Thanks to everyone.
A5A43814-F012-40A7-ADB7-D64A3FAB46E1.jpeg

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All in all the design looks pretty good. I would suggest you use three support braces on the top creating 4 approx 18” sections. I would make the depth of the braces minimum of 3 1/2”. I’m not sure it is necessary but I may also double the front support brace to be 1 1/2”.

How will you be putting the cabinet together? Screws? Biscuits and glue? Other?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build new stand for 72 x 24 x 18 tall acrylic tank, around 130gal. I have the stand but I like to build something more elegant, like Red Sea Stands.
So I was wondering if I can make it only from 3/4 plywood. Without any 2x4 or 1x6.
Thanks to everyone.

No judgement at all. All plywood stands can be done and are very popular in the DIY crowd. You will need a plywood top on it, as acrylic tanks need to be supported completely underneath all the way around and a foam sheet between the tank and stand top.:)

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks ok depending on the width of the plywood and bracing points. What is the dimensions of the stand and bracing dimensions?

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 x 24 stand made out of 3/4 playwood
How tall is the stand? What is the opening size? How thick will your center braces and face frame be...not the thickness of plywood.

OP
OP
Ariton

Ariton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stand will be 36-37” tall
Center braces I was planing to put 1x6
Also that one pice that will be for the third door, that will be also 1x6 the and on top also plywood 3/4.
And I didn’t understand what you meant by opening, the centarbeaces are on every 24”

chowwil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using only plywood, I don't think it can handle the weight of 130 gal tank filled with water, its almost 1,200lb

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The opening for the door or access to sump.

Ok I would say you will be ok if you use plywood instead of the 1x6. Just rip the plywood down to 6in x whatever. I think you need to move the braces to at least 16in 12in would be better apart and and one on each side of the ends . For the face frame I would make them at least six inches wide and cut out in one piece. Just make sure everything is screwed and glued really well.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my issue with this idea. You are correct, there are many stand manufacturers that use this method for supporting their tanks. Most of them stop around 80-90 gallons, Red Sea does a few larger but they are incredibly well engineered. They also use coated MDF or a melamine product that makes the wood water resistant. Regular plywood would have to be a structural ply, 11 ply or more, and you would have to coat it with something to make it waterproof. The saltcreep and moisture will destroy/degrade regular plywood incredibly quickly.

OP
OP
Ariton

Ariton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think so MDF is stronger if I put few coats of water protection plus I’ll spray paint 4-5 coats of good paint. Oil based probably.
I like more MDF it will be easier to make it ready for supper glossy look !

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone.

The back and sides will be just fine. The front i would build out of a 1x4 lumber with a rabbit for the sides to sit into ... (Look at how your kitchen cabinets are assembled) I also do not like the sump area sitting on the floor.. Rip some plywood say 2 inches and build a raised shelf allowing some are space between the bottom and your floor.....

again if you look at a kitchen cabinet and then build to suit your Aquarium.. WITHOUT The toe kick inset...
Hope this is understandable.....

Erica Renee...
Happy Carpentry ...

OP
OP
Ariton

Ariton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to draw the plan now. I use only my phone so I don’t know any app to draw.
The hardest part will be how I’ll install the doors.
That’s the biggest problem I see, i am so scared about the doors :/

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please, go take a look at the commercial stands out there!!!! A 180 gallon tank stand is 3/4 plywood and does a fine job in supporting the tank. Yes is can be done without problem.

OP
OP
Ariton

Ariton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I thought, most of them are build like that, and I don’t see any support inside, the one I have is build just the sides and back plywood no support at all, and the tank was just fine.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any attached horizontal piece will need a vertical support either w/ 1x or ply directly under it, or like erica renee suggested a rabbit that cradles it, you can't rely on screws holding the weight transfered to them.

I would use 1x and or ply, not MDF, MDF swells w/ water contact, not great for marine applications.

I never look at factory designs to compare to, many are made cheap and cost effective to build and or ship, many are not really meant to last, many mass production stand manufacturers don't expect the average hobbiest to have that stand or be in the hobby more than a few years, how long do they warranty those stands for?

And last, your back is solid, I would want it open some so everything below breathes, no trapping moisture and heat.

tony cooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need a smooth finish for paint grade there is a plywood called MDO it is a medium density overlay on top of plywood that is exterior grade ply. It is also called signboard. Much stronger than MDF I’ve seen a tank collapse on an mdf stand that was compromised by moisture.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used that particular product, so can't say much about it from personal exp, but I will say I've never had a problem getting a high gloss finish on 1x or nice ply, just needs to be prepped well, primed sealed sanded, sometimes a couple/few times depending on surface and what type of finish

OP
OP
Ariton

Ariton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll definitely go with 3/4 plywood. I’ll look for furniture grade or like tony cooper recommended MDO.
Thanks to everyone for the help !!!

Next big problem will be to hang the doors, to chose hingers and install them ...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back