Help! Acros dying

ReefAddict16

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2017
Messages
607
Reaction score
248
Location
Southern Ca
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks ago I had my nutrients drop to zero and tissue was dying off. So I recently removed some of my biomedia/ gfo and now my nitrates are staying around 10 but my smaller frags are still dying.
What should I do to help stop the tissue from dying off?
d321f2915031d46e110ac964af4f0bfd.jpg
10de5f314261c458f628cee65baa7808.jpg
 
Alk 8
Cal 410
Mag 1400
Nitrate 10
Phosphate .06

My mini colonies are all doing good. The frags* were the ones effected.
 
Last edited:
I think the only thing you can do is make sure everything stays stable and your tank's nutrients stays up. It will eventually bounce back!
 
I think there was a BRS episode where they researched amino acids and one thing that stood out was tissue repair was faster in tanks where they dosed aminos. Could be worth a shot but outside of that just patience and stability. Keep an eye on nutrients I've seen a lot of times when people zero out and then add nutrients that they tend to drop back to zero fairly quick and need to continue dosing for a while until it stabilizes.
 
I would honestly concentrate on increasing your nutrients. I used to struggle a bit with SPS until I actually started dosing Po4. My sps have never had so much color or polyp extension. I keep my phosphates around .2 to .6. That seems to be the sweet spot for me
 
Same issue here. Did a water change, upped the carbon dosing, and increased my light intensity purposely without realizing my nutrients dropped as much as they did. Definitely a costly mistake
 
Feel like selling my tank off now it's tough transition. Have had great streak for the past 3 years.
 
I honestly feel like doing the same and starting over. I’ve had the worst experiences this year. Heater broke and killed half of my acros. Nutrients dropped and killed a quarter of them. These were my most expensive frags too.
 
I've learned to hang in there during these times if you n can. Generally your tank comes back thriving.
 
Reason why I did a 30% water change the last time is I dosed acropower and nitrates were upwards of 50 and phos was at least 2 using red sea test and salifert respectively.. scared to try again
 
I did however see crazy colors on some of the corals for a few weeks
 
A few videos on high nutrients and SPS. Don't give up. Just stop the carbon dosing and keep those nutrients up.



 
Stability is a key. Keep your system stable and it will bounce back. And try not to dose too many things at once. Good luck.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new