Help changing overflow on my tank

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I want to change the inside part of my overflow because I hate it, the box on the outside is fine I guess but the overflow “screen” drives me nuts, so my question is how can I change this to a normal overflow box? Is t possible? The drilled hole is 1 1/2 inches o just want a box inside my tank draining into the other box on the outside, I’ll post photos of what I have as my overflow currently, I have it plugged with one normal drain and 1 emergency drain

2A4473CB-E66B-45C8-9024-381446C08214.png FB50AC41-F89C-4717-AE4B-A1F2D6810767.png B7A1197A-FCD7-42DE-A99A-ADFE30D855D0.png

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That inner part is weird. Can you drain the tank down and just silicone an inner glass overflow box in or are you looking for something that can mount the same way?

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That inner part is weird. Can you drain the tank down and just silicone an inner glass overflow box in or are you looking for something that can mount the same way?
Yeah it is and I hate it, it dosent drain as much as they claim and when I have my drain open all the way it’s EXTREMELY LOUD, the whole reason I bought the outside box is because they said it would keep it from being loud, my problem is it’s a Acrylic tank so I don’t think I can use silicone on it, I have heard that silicone dosent stick to acrylic very well

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had those and upgraded to this. My tank is a glass 240.
i-RMHnmK5-L.jpg

I had to have it made by Modular Marine. It is deeper than a normal box because my bulkheads are to low for a standard 5 inch deep box to fit.
I am sure there is something in the wide world of glues that would work. I just used silicone on my glass tank.
You could attach it with epoxy for example and then just seal it with silicone.
Modular marine is on eBay and you can contact them there if you want something custom made.
i-FTHqSbw-M.jpg

i-fTRg9tV-M.jpg
i-J3zXQbN-M.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I almost went with that Custom Aquariums’ overflow set up like that. The advertising ‘hype’ is strong with promises.

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, I almost went with that Custom Aquariums’ overflow set up like that. The advertising ‘hype’ is strong with promises.
I heard it was amazing so I decided to go with it for my build, what a mistake it was, the first stealthbox I was sent was warped so bad pvc pipe wouldn’t fit in it and then when they sent a replacement they wouldn’t send a lid so the lid I have is warped and dosent make a great fit, the h2overflow is loud unless you have a gate valve attached and mess with it “took me 4 months to get it dialed in” and that greatly reduces your flow, if you don’t mind your house sounding like your standing inside of a 800 foot waterfall then I wouldn’t go with it, they guy I emailed was very rude and tryed to say I don’t know how to use pvc and that is why I couldn’t get pvc in the box, I would steer clear

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had those and upgraded to this. My tank is a glass 240.
i-RMHnmK5-L.jpg

I had to have it made by Modular Marine. It is deeper than a normal box because my bulkheads are to low for a standard 5 inch deep box to fit.
I am sure there is something in the wide world of glues that would work. I just used silicone on my glass tank.
You could attach it with epoxy for example and then just seal it with silicone.
Modular marine is on eBay and you can contact them there if you want something custom made.
i-FTHqSbw-M.jpg

i-fTRg9tV-M.jpg
i-J3zXQbN-M.jpg
Oh nice!!!! This is exactly what I’m going for but with one hole drilled not 2, How do I figure out what size I need?

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could use some weld-on 16 for acrylic to acrylic but it would be permanent.
Does that work fast? The tank is currently set up and has fish and corals in it so I have to drain half the tank install the overflow then fill it back up, that’s another issue…..lol

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are sized lengthwise by how many gallons per hour you need. I had mine made 3 inches wide and 7 inches deep to put the water level in the tank where I wanted it.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and Modular marine is not there right now.
This seller is away until Fri, Sep 24. Expect a delay in delivery until they return.

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are sized lengthwise by how many gallons per hour you need. I had mine made 3 inches wide and 7 inches deep to put the water level in the tank where I wanted it.
I would want it the same level I have it now, do I just measure from the bulkhead? Also do you have stealth box on the back still or do you just have the overflow box in the tank and then pvc coming from the bulkhead to he the sump?

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would want it the same level I have it now, do I just measure from the bulkhead? Also do you have stealth box on the back still or do you just have the overflow box in the tank and then pvc coming from the bulkhead to he the sump?
I didn't change anything on the back of the tank. That part works fine. I have 4 drains coming from the Stealthbox.

I had a box made because when you bring a standard 5 inch deep box up to where it goes the inside of the box hits the bottom of the bulkhead before you can get it high enough. That would lower the tank water level. The new box I had made is 7 inches deep so it is raised right up to the trim. The tank water level runs about half way up the slots.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back