HELP!! EB4 / Heaters 97 AMPS!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

parkinsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 EB4's on 2 seperate 20amp breakers. They only run my heaters. BRS 600w with ink bird controllers. I have 2 x 600w on 1 breaker with controller, and 1 x 600w on the other breaker with controller. Been running about 4 weeks with no issue. Today I did a WC and the heaters wouldn't come back on with outlet set to auto. Programing below, I use FeedD for maintenance;

Fallback OFF
If DISTMP < 77.0 Then ON
If DISTMP > 78.0 Then OFF
If FeedD 000 Then OFF

20220330_204341.jpg

Manually putting the outlets ON the controllers light up, everything is good, set to auto, they turn off. Looked at the load on the fusion app, 97.3 amps!! Physically the EB4 was hot, the cable on the inkbird power side was also hot. Plugged them into an EB832 that I have right there as well, immediate voltage error (little red !) Plug tester says the plugs are fine. I have 100 amp service to the house, theres no way that power bar is pulling 97 amps without tripping something. I've been selling electrical for 20+ years, Im not an electrician, but I understand electrical.

I have taken the Inkbird controllers out, and plugged the heaters into the EB832 into 3 seperate plugs, seems to be a stable now, EB832 is drawing 1310 watts, which I would expect.

What is the issue?!!?! Inkbird controllers?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the EB4, outlets 1, 2, and 4 support up to 8 amps each, but outlet 3 can support a device up to 12 amps, which is unique among all of the other EnergyBar modules. The maximum load for the entire module is 15 amps.

It's impossible for the EB4 to be drawing 97 amps. Either it is defective, or its power meter needs to be recalibrated. Follow the instructions here for calibration:

(these instructions should work for any model of EnergyBar, not just the EB832)

OP
OP
P

parkinsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the EB4, outlets 1, 2, and 4 support up to 8 amps each, but outlet 3 can support a device up to 12 amps, which is unique among all of the other EnergyBar modules. The maximum load for the entire module is 15 amps.

It's impossible for the EB4 to be drawing 97 amps. Either it is defective, or its power meter needs to be recalibrated. Follow the instructions here for calibration:

(these instructions should work for any model of EnergyBar, not just the EB832)
Thanks, I will try that. The heaters are plugged into the 3rd output, as it is the highest rated output at 12 amps. 2 x 600w @ 120v is only 10 amps. Hopefully thats the issue.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current sensing outside of range is not particularly reliable. I wouldn't trust those numbers nor would I necessarily blame the EB4. However, there is clearly a problem. An inkbird controller that sends three different power strips out of range on current sensing seems like a reasonable suspect.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back