Help identifying potential disease

BigRedHair92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this PBT in quarantine with a Foxface for the last 45ish days after using hybrid TTM to treat ich. My DT is fallow, has been at 82 degrees and has been fallow 60 days as of today, so the plan was to reintroduce him today. This morning I noticed these brown blotches on his skin. Are these stress spots, or a bacterial infection, or something else? Need to know if there's something else I need to treat him for so it doesn't spread to my other fish! thanks!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the fish seem to be irritated at all? Does it look like patterning or like something is sitting on or eating away at the skin?
Looks like a coloration thing to me, especially if it came out of nowhere instantly.
#fishmedic

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had this PBT in quarantine with a Foxface for the last 45ish days after using hybrid TTM to treat ich. My DT is fallow, has been at 82 degrees and has been fallow 60 days as of today, so the plan was to reintroduce him today. This morning I noticed these brown blotches on his skin. Are these stress spots, or a bacterial infection, or something else? Need to know if there's something else I need to treat him for so it doesn't spread to my other fish! thanks!

Cant expand image but appears to be not stress spots but bacterial and may be simply due to water quality and can be poor water quality, from moving tank to tank or skin reaction. Im not a fan of TTM and much prefer conventional Coppersafe treatment but for your question, I would suggest addressing this prior to calling your treatment plan complete.
While seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 would address this , I feel best with use of Ruby Rally Pro which is reef safe but covers an array of issues such as external parasites, velvet, Brook, flukes, gram negative bacterial infections, fin and tail rot, etc., and some secondary infections.

OP
OP
B

BigRedHair92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant expand image but appears to be not stress spots but bacterial and may be simply due to water quality and can be poor water quality, from moving tank to tank or skin reaction. Im not a fan of TTM and much prefer conventional Coppersafe treatment but for your question, I would suggest addressing this prior to calling your treatment plan complete.
While seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 would address this , I feel best with use of Ruby Rally Pro which is reef safe but covers an array of issues such as external parasites, velvet, Brook, flukes, gram negative bacterial infections, fin and tail rot, etc., and some secondary infections.

I'm not familiar with Ruby Rally Pro. Is that multiple treatments over time, or just one bath, or some other method?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
its a formaldehyde/acriflavin mixture as far as I can see - EDIT - and its a treatment for days - not just a dip

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to say - multiple pictures would be helpful - because the pectoral fin looks like a huge lesion - which I guess it's not. is the fish still eating, etc

OP
OP
B

BigRedHair92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say - multiple pictures would be helpful - because the pectoral fin looks like a huge lesion - which I guess it's not. is the fish still eating, etc
There are multiple photos. Hover over the box and there is an arrow to flip to the second one. The fish is still eating and doesn't seem bothered at all.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
EDIT - Can't - see Bro

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm not familiar with Ruby Rally Pro. Is that multiple treatments over time, or just one bath, or some other method?
Multiple yes and you would start with 90 minute bath followed by regular treatment at daily treatment for first 4 days then pausing for 3 days followed by additional round of daily treatment if needed

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Multiple yes and you would start with 90 minute bath followed by regular treatment at daily treatment for first 4 days then pausing for 3 days followed by additional round of daily treatment if needed
wrong

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you agree with anything - seriously !!
Ive been using this since it came out - Not wrong. here is their website- Tell them theyre wrong:

From manufacturer :
Apply Rally™ PRO once per day for at least 3 days. Longer treatment periods may be required for heavy or persistent infections. Wait 3 to 4 days to allow Rally™ PRO to complete the treatment before resuming normal operations. Rally™ PRO is biodegradable and will be completely out of the tank in 3 to 5 days.

Here is from Humblefish and the late Bob Fenner:

** Misc. **
Acriflavine: Best to use Ruby Reef Rally @ 1 teaspoon per gallon in a 90 minute bath. :

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you agree with anything - seriously !!
Ive been using this since it came out - Not wrong. here is their website- Tell them theyre wrong:

From manufacturer :
Apply Rally™ PRO once per day for at least 3 days. Longer treatment periods may be required for heavy or persistent infections. Wait 3 to 4 days to allow Rally™ PRO to complete the treatment before resuming normal operations. Rally™ PRO is biodegradable and will be completely out of the tank in 3 to 5 days.

Here is from Humblefish and the late Bob Fenner:

** Misc. **
Acriflavine: Best to use Ruby Reef Rally @ 1 teaspoon per gallon in a 90 minute bath. :
Meant the wording you used made no sense. read it again

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I couldn't get the full image to load. But from the thumbnail photo, I would suspect those are scrape marks from trying to dislodge flukes. TTM is not a full quarantine process, and it does not handle flukes like Neobenedenia.

I would give the fish in that tank a full Prazipro treatment for 14 days (2 treatments, 8 to 9 days apart with good aeration). If the lesions clear, then consider moving them to your DT.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sincere apologies - @vetteguy53081 I now understand what you were trying to say - which I didn't when I was in the car on the phone trying to answer. I should not have said 'wrong'.

OP
OP
B

BigRedHair92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't get the full image to load. But from the thumbnail photo, I would suspect those are scrape marks from trying to dislodge flukes. TTM is not a full quarantine process, and it does not handle flukes like Neobenedenia.

I would give the fish in that tank a full Prazipro treatment for 14 days (2 treatments, 8 to 9 days apart with good aeration). If the lesions clear, then consider moving them to your DT.

Jay
Fish was treated via the hybrid TTM, which does treat for flukes. I've started treatment for a bacterial infection now, and will update on how it goes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish was treated via the hybrid TTM, which does treat for flukes. I've started treatment for a bacterial infection now, and will update on how it goes.

Even the hybrid TTM fails at treating Neobenedenia and gill flukes. The eggs from these flukes are really sticky and get caught up when you move the fish from vessel to vessel. What's worse is that even one egg can restart an infection.

Jay

OP
OP
B

BigRedHair92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the hybrid TTM fails at treating Neobenedenia and gill flukes. The eggs from these flukes are really sticky and get caught up when you move the fish from vessel to vessel. What's worse is that even one egg can restart an infection.

Jay
So you're staying that even though he's already been treated for flukes as part of this process, they could still have survived?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're staying that even though he's already been treated for flukes as part of this process, they could still have survived?

Sure - it depends on how you ran the TTM. No fish safe chemicals, even praziquantel, kills flukes eggs. The Neobenedenia eggs are sticky, so get transferred along with the the fish. The way you deal with eggs is through the passage of time. You let them hatch and then try to kill the offspring before they in turn have grown up enough to more lay eggs. Neo eggs hatch out within 12 days. I choose a 8 to 9 day repeat on a prazi treatment to try and stop the life cycle. It doesn't always work, but it works better than how TTM handles them. Personally, I use hyposalinity to eradicate Neobenedenia and gill flukes - 35 days at half salinity. The eggs can't hatch and they all die out. I've never had this fail except in very rare cases of a brackish water fluke species.

Some flukes are livebearers, so the egg issue isn't a problem.

Jay

OP
OP
B

BigRedHair92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure - it depends on how you ran the TTM. No fish safe chemicals, even praziquantel, kills flukes eggs. The Neobenedenia eggs are sticky, so get transferred along with the the fish. The way you deal with eggs is through the passage of time. You let them hatch and then try to kill the offspring before they in turn have grown up enough to more lay eggs. Neo eggs hatch out within 12 days. I choose a 8 to 9 day repeat on a prazi treatment to try and stop the life cycle. It doesn't always work, but it works better than how TTM handles them. Personally, I use hyposalinity to eradicate Neobenedenia and gill flukes - 35 days at half salinity. The eggs can't hatch and they all die out. I've never had this fail except in very rare cases of a brackish water fluke species.

Some flukes are livebearers, so the egg issue isn't a problem.

Jay
Ah, that makes sense. As part of the process I treated twice with General Cure, 6 days apart. I'll continue to monitor and retreat if symptoms persist. Thanks for the info!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back