Help me formulate a good wrasse diet

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think @Slocke @Randy Holmes-Farley

Calling in the wrasse and reef chemistry experts for this one. Anyway after 10 months of my 120 gallon tank being coral-only, the first fish has made it through QT. Been looking for very specific australian fish since July, and after months of searching I've found a China wrasse avaliable. Placed the order through my LFS and after a month of QT (LFS has a 1 month medicated QT policy for any saltwater fish before sale, love the system) I'll be picking it up on Friday. Though what I am concerned about is the nutrient swing a new fish may cause, and since my tank being LPS dominant that could be problematic, though of course I need to make sure this fish has all of its dietary needs met. So that's why I tagged you. My tank has been established through live mysis, amphipods/copepods and a whole lot of LPS, so there will be more than enough microfauna avaliable. I used to add around 2-3 cubes of frozen food (1.25 grams each) nightly (for the corals) which has kept my po4 though after getting a bit too carried away one night my phosphates went from .06 to .08, so Ive added one every other night the last few days and after 2 days my po4 is now .07 ish. Of course I still add ~120 ml of phyto every other day. This is what is in the food I use
Screenshot_20231123_014128_Bulk Reef Supply.jpg

And I'm planning on feeding a blend of rods food which have this in it
Screenshot_20231123_014535_Bulk Reef Supply.jpg
Screenshot_20231123_014515_Bulk Reef Supply.jpg
Screenshot_20231123_014453_Bulk Reef Supply.jpg

I'm still trying to maintain a no-water change system so this is where my question comes in. Assuming I stop the vast majority of the nightly feedings and continue my daily filter sock and 24 hr refeugium (along with running a skimmer and maybe a stronger fuge light) What amount would I need to feed in order to not only give the fish enough food, but also keep the nutrients from spiking. As mentioned above, I do Daily filter sock changes and run a 24 hr refeugium, though I'm running a very cheap freshwater light and might upgrade to something more powerful for this. I'd also run the skimmer as well. The wrasse is around 3-4 inches long and I will do once daily feedings like what is currently being done at my LFS. So how do I keep my nutrients stable? With the feeding I'm doing now my nitrates are around 5 FYI.
Since time isn't really a concern should I (as it being the only fish) give it 1-2 pieces of food at a time so none of it falls and decays? I'll also be checking my po4 tommorow and since I did just spotfeed half a cube of krill to my corals will the reading be a good indicator? Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse will start by eating your pods so I don’t know that you will have to increase your feeding.

I have studied the efficiencies of energy (emergy) in nature and if it helps I can tell you that a growing animal can convert almost half of what they eat into biomass in their bodies though the average is much smaller (like 10-15% usually) and is dependent on many factors. Or in other words most of the food you add will end up in the water one way or another. Only a small amount will end up being used by the wrasse so your total nutrient addition should be about the same… theoretically.

Though that’s really just a fun thought experiment and I literally have no idea how much the fish will affect your nutrients and in my opinion you are over thinking things. Make sure the fish is happy and well fed and worry about nutrients later. It’s a big tank and a single fish being fed will do almost nothing to your nutrients.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to just me personally, it never made sense to give fish just 1-2 pieces of food so that none is missed and decomposes. A healthy system should be able to handle a bit of overfeeding with no problem.

I don't even believe its about feeding fish only, I feed my system. A reef system includes thousands of lives, worms, pods, bacteria's, filter feeders, cuc, they all need food to survive. To have healthy biodiversity, everything needs to be fed.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think

anything I need to know about their diet/amount of food?
There isn’t much else I’d add, however what I will say is adding this one fish likely won’t spike your nutrients. If she’s small (2-3”) it’s much more likely you’ll have a slight rise but nothing major that would wipe out corals. Just don’t feed too much, I feed ~50ml of food to my fish and I have around 28 fish in total. 50ml of food doesn’t sound like a lot however I personally ram as much as possible into it - Every month I make a new batch and mix in what I can, somethings do change but not much.

My nutrients in my 4’ are high yet I don’t really keep SPS currently, I stick to what I can keep instead of what I want to keep (those guys go into the nano). Obviously, I still want to keep mushrooms, leathers, hammers, torches however those are mainly what I can keep whilst I want to keep SPS so I use my nano (which is one reason I was incredibly annoyed when it crashed).

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn’t much else I’d add, however what I will say is adding this one fish likely won’t spike your nutrients. If she’s small (2-3”) it’s much more likely you’ll have a slight rise but nothing major that would wipe out corals. Just don’t feed too much, I feed ~50ml of food to my fish and I have around 28 fish in total. 50ml of food doesn’t sound like a lot however I personally ram as much as possible into it - Every month I make a new batch and mix in what I can, somethings do change but not much.

My nutrients in my 4’ are high yet I don’t really keep SPS currently, I stick to what I can keep instead of what I want to keep (those guys go into the nano). Obviously, I still want to keep mushrooms, leathers, hammers, torches however those are mainly what I can keep whilst I want to keep SPS so I use my nano (which is one reason I was incredibly annoyed when it crashed).
Thanks!

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Slocke, to China wrasses make mucus cocoons under the sand? Picked mine up today and (as expected) it immediately went into the sand, came back at night and It appears to have a mucus "snorkel" that has some sand that leads down to the wrasse. Is this normal?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Slocke, to China wrasses make mucus cocoons under the sand? Picked mine up today and (as expected) it immediately went into the sand, came back at night and It appears to have a mucus "snorkel" that has some sand that leads down to the wrasse. Is this normal?
No. Sand sleepers don’t createucous cocoons but just leave it be. Best not to disturb it.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke Took a photo of the weird wrasse bubble
20231124_204007.jpg

Turns out you can make a DIY red flashlight! (I just put my finger over the light lol, didn't want to disturb the wrasse too much as the lights did turn off 2 hours ago)
I have no idea what that is sorry. Best just to leave it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back