Help me pick a 3D printer

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been interested for a while in buying a 3D printer for projects/crafts around the house, with a perk of also being able to make things for my tank.

I don't have an unlimited budget and I have narrowed it down to two different styles of printer. A resin printer and a filament printer.

Filament Printer:

I really like this one's build size at over 8" in all directions.

Resin Printer:

I like how smooth the objects come out and how they are supposedly stronger than standard filament printers. But also have read that they stink.

I am open to other suggestions but unless a friend wants to split the cost with me I have to keep it < $300.

U

User1

View Badges
Here is a thread that may help you. 3D printing thread had some discussions about printers and recommendations. Worth a read. Good luck.

OlderManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been interested for a while in buying a 3D printer for projects/crafts around the house, with a perk of also being able to make things for my tank.

I don't have an unlimited budget and I have narrowed it down to two different styles of printer. A resin printer and a filament printer.

Filament Printer:

I really like this one's build size at over 8" in all directions.

Resin Printer:

I like how smooth the objects come out and how they are supposedly stronger than standard filament printers. But also have read that they stink.

I am open to other suggestions but unless a friend wants to split the cost with me I have to keep it < $300.

My first printer was an Ender 3. It has been fabulous from day 1. I use it often and it is generally flawless in performance.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resin is hugely different. Prints have toxic fumes, items need to be rinsed in alcohol and then cured under UV, etc. I don’t think most resins are considered reef safe either.

Simple FDM is much better. Enders work, if you can afford it go with a Prusa MK3s.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked up the Prusa MK3, unless one of my buddies goes in with me to get it they are out of my budget.

I am glad to hear good things about the Ender 3 so I will most likely go with that one.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up my first printer about two months ago. I went with the Creality Ender 3 pro. Hands down your best bang for the buck. Great sized print bed, has amazing print quality right out of the box and with maybe $100 in mods you'll out print printers that are 3-4x the price all day long.

OldManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Kodski. Not only is the Ender 3 great from the get go, there are a number of easy mods (none necessary) that will make you expert about machine aspects of 3D printing quickly. Then you work your way through Cura - or other slicer - and gain more knowledge and finally begin to draw your own items to print.

It is great fun as well as really useful. The Prusa is an excellent ecosystem but over time you can add those bells and whistles to the Ender - if you want to.

Some of the mods are more like adding a Trident to your system, a lot of fun but absolutely not necessary.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ender is a solid base. I'd second the issues with a resin printer - they're awesome for finer details, but I wouldn't recommend it for first go around and the consumables are pricier.

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tevo black widow, tevo tarantula, tronxy and a creality ender 3 pro . The ender 3 have by far been the most reliable and best for the buck . I would not hesitant to pull the trigger on another one if I needed to .

xenttt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a used ender 5 for about the same price as the ender 3 and it's been great so my vote is on the 5.
There are more mods on the ender 3 because it's been out longer.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheHarold and @dantimdad I see that you guys do a lot of 3D printing. I have the Ender 3 and an the upgraded extruder in my Amazon cart (ready to purchase). From reading through the really long thread, I saw that PETG is the recommended filament for long term exposure.

Do you guys have a preferred brand/size for using with the Ender 3?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheHarold and @dantimdad I see that you guys do a lot of 3D printing. I have the Ender 3 and an the upgraded extruder in my Amazon cart (ready to purchase). From reading through the really long thread, I saw that PETG is the recommended filament for long term exposure.

Do you guys have a preferred brand/size for using with the Ender 3?

There is only one size that works with Ender 3, 1.75mm filament. Not really understanding that part of the question.

Almost any brand with $18-25 rolls is fine. Hatchbox, Overture, StrongHero, Solutech, whatever.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only one size that works with Ender 3, 1.75mm filament. Not really understanding that part of the question.

Almost any brand with $18-25 rolls is fine. Hatchbox, Overture, StrongHero, Solutech, whatever.
Yeah....I was reading through the description again and saw the sentence saying it uses 1.75mm. Sorry...

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would certainly spend some time on a 3D printer forum before making the plunge.
Just my 2 cents

ahnuts72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased an ender 3 non pro and i love it.
I have been researching for a couple months as this is my first printer so i have nothing else to base this on but my prints are turning out pretty good.
This is a mount for the camera i got to do surface mount soldering and inspection they wanted 60 to 80 dollars or more for a mount the printer only cost 179 and i have been wanting one.
For a first printer for the price i think it is great.
I'm still learning but the assembly was easy just take ur time and get the bed level right.
IMG_20200328_095155_9.png
IMG_20200328_095214_9.png
IMG_20200328_095224_9.png
IMG_20200328_095243_1.png
IMG_20200328_095254_2.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting the Ender 3 Pro.

I was about to hit purchase on the Ender 3 on Amazon and decided to mosey on over to Creality's website and they had the Pro down at an even $200 (looks like they are $229 right now).

It has been pretty much going non-stop since I got it.

I designed and printed off a hanger to put my webcam on the side of my tank:
IMG_20200330_205009.jpg

IMG_20200401_093745.jpg

I have also printed off some masks for some friends that work at the VA to give them something they can wash.

I will be printing off some of the mods for the Ender 3 Pro this evening/tomorrow morning to help make loading the filament easier and such.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back