Help me pick a sump

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help please. My 20 year old D.I.Y. sump just D.I.E.D. It split a seam and dumped several gallons on the floor. I got lucky. The split occurred in the return section so the water loss was limited. Anyway, I need a new sump. No DIY this time. I have a 4' 90 Gallon tank. The sump goes under the stand. I have a big old recirculating skimmer that I'd like to keep. My old sump was a Berlin Method with no refugium section. I have had thoughts of adding a refugium, so now maybe adding one into the sump would be ok. Any ideas for a sump? I'd like to stay under $400. Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bashea very good
Also aqueon flex and eshopps

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a Trigger systems Ruby 36 sump. BRS was running a sale & it was in my price range. Here's the problem... This sump, and every sump in my price range, doesn't have room for my 15+ year old recirculating Reef Octo Skimmer and a decent sized refugium area. Its footprint is like 8 X 15.5".

I guess it's time to replace my big, old, faithful, and noisy skimmer. A Bubble Magnus Curve 7 looks like it will fit just fine and is priced right. Anybody got any opinions on this skimmer or recommend others in the $300 range with something less than a 12"X8" footprint?

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a Trigger systems Ruby 36 sump. BRS was running a sale & it was in my price range. Here's the problem... This sump, and every sump in my price range, doesn't have room for my 15+ year old recirculating Reef Octo Skimmer and a decent sized refugium area. Its footprint is like 8 X 15.5".

I guess it's time to replace my big, old, faithful, and noisy skimmer. A Bubble Magnus Curve 7 looks like it will fit just fine and is priced right. Anybody got any opinions on this skimmer or recommend others in the $300 range with something less than a 12"X8" footprint?
BM skimmers are nice but IMO best bang for the buck are Aquamaxx Skimmers . I have 3 of them FC -80 , FC -120,anda DCQ3 that replaced my Deltec 1000ix. I have been very happy with them.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
are you not going the DIY route because of the situation that occurred? i still believe DIY is a better option as you can always optimize it for your needs, but if money isn't an issue then synergy reef sumps are good from what i read and see.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have the Trigger Sapphire 36...I use the Octo 110sss. Tons of room left over. Oh and an awesome skimmer

Attachments

• 20220112_132806.jpg
    20220112_132806.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you not going the DIY route because of the situation that occurred? i still believe DIY is a better option as you can always optimize it for your needs, but if money isn't an issue then synergy reef sumps are good from what i read and see.
Not really. The sump that broke was almost 20 years old. Acrylic was cheap then. It performed well for all of those years. With the price of cast acrylic today, it is just about as cheap to buy a reasonably priced model as it is to build something that looks nice. As far as the skimmer... it is old, big @ 8 X 15.5 X 28", noisy, and requires two pumps to operate. While it skims really, really well, it is not terribly efficient. And did I mention the noise? Now I have an excuse to buy new one.

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Trigger Sapphire 36...I use the Octo 110sss. Tons of room left over. Oh and an awesome skimmer
Wow, you have it packed in there. At least I'll have an extra foot of room under the stand for my 90. I considered the Reef Octo 110 but thought my biolaod in the 90 might be too high. The next step up, the 150, gets a little pricey and would possibly be over kill.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, you have it packed in there. At least I'll have an extra foot of room under the stand for my 90. I considered the Reef Octo 110 but thought my biolaod in the 90 might be too high. The next step up, the 150, gets a little pricey and would possibly be over kill.
Tell me about it! I built doors on the side of the stand also so I could go in from the side... there literally isn't an inch left over. It has benefits and drawbacks for sure. I run the 110 on a 50g system and have only 4 fish so I can't speak to it working with a high bioload. Although I just remembered...a guy I work with runs the 110 on his 100g, moderately stocked tank and he says it works great for him. He has been running the 110 for at least 3 years and is the reason I got it in the first place.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. How do you like the Trigger sump?
The quality is bar none. I bought a blemish for a he!! of a price, I'm happy overall. I was going to use a 20 long with a Fiji kit as a sump, but as you said all in on that setup was only 50 bucks less than the trigger. I also reclaimed some stand space.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back