Help me select a Jebao pump for my application

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm working on a 60 x 30 x 20 tank build (~150 gallons) w/ a 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank sump. I estimate it'll be around 150-160 gallons once rock and substrate are in it. My plan is to use 1.5" drains and 1" return lines. I want a pump that will feed a manifold in the configuration below. I'd like to avoid using two pumps so I have some space in the sump for frags.

• Pump
    • T->Return Nozzle 1
    • T->40 Watt UV
      • ->Return Nozzle 2
    • T->GFO Reactor
      • -.Sump
    • T->Ozone Reactor
      • ->Carbon Reactor
        • ->Sump
    • X->Sewer discharge Line

I don't particularly care about high flow back to the tank and I'm fine with 3-5x turnover, but I do want to be able to use the pump to pump water out into the sewer line via pipe I plumbed up the wall to the ceiling and across the room. It's probably 5-6 feet of head height since the sump is elevated off the floor and maybe 10 feet horizontally.

I'm currently looking at the Jebao MDP pumps on Amazon. They seem to have good reviews and I've had no issues with the Jebao DCP-5000 on my mixing station aside from the sparks when plugging in the cables (which I never unplug anyway). I'm hoping the MDP pump that is resolved since it uses screw in watertight connectors.

Can you recommend which size you'd go with for this application? Size and price isn't much of a difference for my application.

• MDP-13000 3,566 gallons/hr $169.99
  • MDP-15000 3,962 gallons/hr $209.99
  • MDP-20000 5,283 gallons/hr $249.99

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I do not have a precise answer, but as you mention size / price not being a limiting factor I would consider going with the largest option - 20k. As it’s a DC pump, you can scale down the output as necessary vs. second guessing if the smaller option will give you enough output. It also gives you more flexibility in the future if you decide you want to add additional plumbing.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry I do not have a precise answer, but as you mention size / price not being a limiting factor I would consider going with the largest option - 20k. As it’s a DC pump, you can scale down the output as necessary vs. second guessing if the smaller option will give you enough output. It also gives you more flexibility in the future if you decide you want to add additional plumbing.
No worries, I appreciate the feedback.

Obviously looking at Jebao to save some money where I don’t think it’ll make a difference, but in grand scheme $90 isn’t much of a difference. They are all priced pretty comparable.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back