Help me understand low phosphates regarding Cyano Bacteria

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and have you seen if sulfate ever becomes elevated in tanks with higher nitrates that don't perform water changes? That would help the hypothesis I would think a good deal.

How would that happen?

Sulfate is huge to begin with. Where would the sulfur come from to move that needle?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that he referer to the normal H2S formation and that this can leave the water as gas. hence exporting S.

In theory - if the H2S production is hindered - as I suggest - no S will be exported as gas and the S should accumulate in the tank compared with a system without suppression of H2S forming. That was the way I got his statement at least. But in reality - I think it is very little H2S that will be released to the air - most of it will be directly oxidized in the water

Sincerely Lasse

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So somthing that I would like to know any idea which amino acids were used\trigger an outbreak the reason I ask this is things need a certain type of amino acid / combination to grow / live and if all 20 were not added in equal ratios how could one narrow down exactly what was happening

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they can serve as N sources for the production of other needed amino acids and proteins. The actual amino acid will not be used for protein synthesis but the N in it will . It is like adding NH3/NH4 to plants and algaes.

Sincerely Lasse

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would that happen?

Sulfate is huge to begin with. Where would the sulfur come from to move that needle?

There is sulfur coming in with the food, and if you don't export it the sulfate level should eventually start to rise. However haven't looked at level of sulfur in aquarium foods. I know algae can have a bit, not sure of mysids or any of the other carnivore preps. If the levels are small, you're right it would take a very long time to observe a significant change.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to sulfur it is also produced in areas with little to no o2 but access to nitrogen deep in rocks deep sand beds etc as its expelled as a byproduct of the bacteria breaking down nitrates that is one way it can be introduced in a tank without another form of nitrogen removal

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And as to amino acids yes this is true but what I'm getting at is if your just using fish food flakes and not a direct source for your fertilizer using the base ingredents then there is no true way to test whats happening as each pinch of flake will contain a slightly diffrent level of each ingreadent which in turn screws with the end results sry cant spell

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I would love to see exactly what happening to see if there is a way to avoid it in the first place or if introducing a certain amino acid will in turn disrupt the prosses as it could be a lack of somthing not alowing the formation or to much of somthing else causing a rapid growth and in turn the cells exploding similar to what happends when you use peroxide to kill things the extra oxygen molicue causes the cell to explode

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to sulfur it is also produced in areas with little to no o2 but access to nitrogen deep in rocks deep sand beds etc as its expelled as a byproduct of the bacteria breaking down nitrates that is one way it can be introduced in a tank without another form of nitrogen removal
Sulphur is not produced in any tank. You can´t produce an element from any other compound not containing that element if you not have found the philosophers Stone. However H2S will be produced from compounds containing sulphur in the absence of nitrate

Sincerely Lasse

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you are incorrect

In anaerobic respiration, a molecule other than oxygen is used as the terminal electron acceptor in the electron transport chain

Both inorganic and organic compounds may be used as electron acceptors in anaerobic respiration. Inorganic compounds include sulfate (SO42-), nitrate (NO3–), and ferric iron (Fe3+). Organic compounds include DMSO.

The bacateria in a deep sand bed use no3 and exhale so4

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And over time this builds up in the dsb creating sulphur zone that if disturbed will wipe a tank out and if not changed out compleatly every few years will start to leach sulphur into the tank been there done that

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could help enrich your discussion:

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry not trying to be rude but I know for a fact this happens as I personally have had it happen as part of my learning curve when I setup a 0 food input 0 water change I only added micro and macro nutrients to the water as an increase in mass from the critters I kept needed energy from somewhere it produced its own food and ran tjrew the entire nitrogen and sulphur cycles ending in suphric gas that has to be release carefully every few months it ran for 8 years before my kid killed the system by dumping chili powder in it

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is sulfur coming in with the food, and if you don't export it the sulfate level should eventually start to rise. However haven't looked at level of sulfur in aquarium foods. I know algae can have a bit, not sure of mysids or any of the other carnivore preps. If the levels are small, you're right it would take a very long time to observe a significant change.

Levels of sulfate vary widely between salt mixes and are far too small in foods to impact the levels, even ignoring that much of it ends up in organism tissues anyway.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me, trying to understand this information I know is good to know.

giphy.gif

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back