Help: My bioblock keeps floating off! (Help me build a better bubble trap?)

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a older Red Sea Sump running on my SCA 80 aquarium. I just upgraded to a Red sea RSK 300 and I hate it.*

The sump has a double baffle before the return chamber. I have pieces of bioblock cut to fit in there but as it traps bubbles it gets boyant and tends to float up in the baffles and even rotate some times. I'm so frustrated with a display full of micro bubbles.

*The bottom discharge design means the outflow can't be redirected to another chamber or some sort of bubble trap.

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut some filter pad to fit in there. That’s what I use on my diy sump. You can get a 10 ft roll for like 9 or 10 bucks when it’s on sale.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly that would be a pretty good/easy solution. I haven't but mainly because I have trouble getting pieces small enough to fit between the baffles but big enough to be heavy... maybe time to revisit that though...
I would break up like 2 larger rocks with a hammer and just drop them on top. Wash them off in some saltwater tho because they can make a dusty mess when broken.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would break up like 2 larger rocks with a hammer and just drop them on top. Wash them off in some saltwater tho because they can make a dusty mess when broken.

I didn't really have any large chunks to do this with but I forgot that about a year ago when I started my tank I put a whole bunch of rubble in the chamber where my drains enter my sump to give out to new reefers to seed their tank. I had stopped giving out rubble and actually were giving out small chunks of extra by a block I had that crumble off the pieces I put in The baffle. I was able to come up with enough that I think The block is now pinned down well enough.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back