Help, my sweet clownfish is getting worse.

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jay Heyday is already here so you are in good hands. Please let us know if neomycin is helping.

Also consider visiting your local vet. This seriously infected lesion may warrant MS222 sedation and intramuscular injection of something stronger (e.g. gentamycin hydrochloride), then topical application of Vaseline mixed with methylene blue to the lesion site.

OP
OP
V

vcarlyle62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx Jay, it doesn't appear any other fish are fast breathing. I do have a large cut out on the tub for air, was trying to slow down evaporation for more steady copper levels at the time. There's 2 air stone also that pull air in from outside tub.

Fish got their first dose of the neoplex yesterday like you suggested. Hoping she holds in there until abx kicks in. Also ordered some methylene blue so maybe dips can help too? Looks like it's eating into her body now. I pulled her out to get some better picts in a jar today.

Attachments

• 20220407_110243.jpg
    20220407_110243.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220407_110233.jpg
    20220407_110233.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
V

vcarlyle62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx Jay, it doesn't appear any other fish are fast breathing. I do have a large cut out on the tub for air, was trying to slow down evaporation for more steady copper levels at the time. There's 2 air stone also that pull air in from outside tub.

Fish got their first dose of the neoplex yesterday like you suggested. Hoping she holds in there until abx kicks in. Also ordered some methylene blue so maybe dips can help too? Looks like it's eating into her body now. I pulled her out to get some better picts in a jar today.

Attachments

• 20220407_110154.jpg
    20220407_110154.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220407_110151.jpg
    20220407_110151.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
V

vcarlyle62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jay Heyday is already here so you are in good hands. Please let us know if neomycin is helping.

Also consider visiting your local vet. This seriously infected lesion may warrant MS222 sedation and intramuscular injection of something stronger (e.g. gentamycin hydrochloride), then topical application of Vaseline mixed with methylene blue to the lesion site.
That sounds like a good idea. I will have some methylene blue here tomorrow. Not sure where to get sedation stuff but I am a nurse so I ca. Handle I jection if I could find the stuff. Jay's been great, really appreciate everything. Little lady is part of our family and I'm worried her bonded mate will be too stressed without her

OP
OP
V

vcarlyle62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a good idea. I will have some methylene blue here tomorrow. Not sure where to get sedation stuff but I am a nurse so I ca. Handle I jection if I could find the stuff. Jay's been great, really appreciate everything. Little lady is part of our family and I'm worried her bonded mate will be too stressed without her
Can methelene blue be dripped right on her or has to be in Vaseline?

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can methelene blue be dripped right on her or has to be in Vaseline?
It can be dipped right on her. But it will easily dissolve into the tank water, especially if the fish starts to swim.

Methylene blue medical bath is a potential replacement for topical application.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like it is getting much worse. The methylene blue will have some benefit if it is a fungal infection, but it is tricky to dose because most formulations sold do not give the actual concentration.
Jay

OP
OP
V

vcarlyle62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like it is getting much worse. The methylene blue will have some benefit if it is a fungal infection, but it is tricky to dose because most formulations sold do not give the actual concentration.
Jay
I purchased the Kordon methelene blue, with the Vaseline mixed MB will it stay on fish , still be strong enough ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Kordon methelene blue, with the Vaseline mixed MB will it stay on fish , still be strong enough ?
I’ve never used MB topically, so I can’t really say, sorry.
Jay

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see how neomycin works. One thing at a time.

If it really starts to deteriorate, especially if the fish starts to be stationery, consider

1. Mixing your MB product with vaseline 1:1 (by volume), set aside.

2. Remove the fish and place on clean towel.

3. Use povidone-iodine pads (Walgreens CVS first aid aide etc) to gently rub the wound site clean. Remove damaged issue that comes loose.

4. Apply, in a circular motion, a generous amount of the prepared MB lotion to the lesion, making sure all necrotic issue is covered. Reapply every 12 hours.

I have had success in the past with this on fish attacked and developed secondary infection. But in this case the infection is already systemic, so it's important for antibiotic to get into the fish's blood stream. Neomycin will still be doing most of the work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vcarlyle62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see how neomycin works. One thing at a time.

If it really starts to deteriorate, especially if the fish starts to be stationery, consider

1. Mixing your MB product with vaseline 1:1 (by volume), set aside.

2. Remove the fish and place on clean towel.

3. Use providone-iodine pads (Walgreens CVS first aid aide etc) to gently rub the wound site clean. Remove damaged issue that comes loose.

4. Apply, in a circular motion, a generous amount of the prepared MB lotion to the lesion, making sure all necrotic issue is covered. Reapply every 12 hours.

I have had success in the past with this on fish attacked and developed secondary infection. But in this case the infection is already systemic, so it's important for antibiotic to get into the fish's blood stream. Neomycin will still be doing most of the work.
Sounds like a solid plan, thx @mcgullen and @jay , you guys are great and your time and advice is incredible appreciated !! Will let you know how she does with neoplex over the next few days ... hopefully she still has time.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 44 44.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back