HELP needed

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey , I recently switched from t5 to led. Everything seemed to doing fine but then my LPS (Frogspawn) started to die and that was a couple weeks ago and now its completely gone (20+ heads) now both of my hammers are started to die as well. Does anyone have any suggestion on what to do? My SPS is doing fine, I normally do a water change once a week or every other week, also my Alk is 6.8 try to keep it at 7 and Cal is at 410. The LEDs are sb reef lights and they are 13in above the tank set for 8 hours a day and W are at 20% and B is at 50%.

Animal Chin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh werid. How long between switching to LED and the coral death? Days? Months? I want to think its something else but its hard to say with the info you've given. Any other changes in the tank? Did you start carbon dosing or did you add a new fish or invert?

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started to die the day before I got the lights and then it went down fast within about a week or two. Now my hammers are doing it too but it seems slower this time. And I haven’t added anything new since February

Animal Chin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the clue here is it started the day before the new lights. Has there been any swings in parameters? Phosphate? Temp? Is it hotter because of summer? It can be a lot of things but if it started just before the lights I don't know that the lights are the issue. These things can be tricky to pin point. I had a huge hammer colony that was in my tank for like years, one day it just didn't open up and it never did again. I looked at everything to figure out what was causing it. Could be a pest, maybe a fungal or bacterial infection? Try moving them to the bottom of the tank, do they recover if there is less light? Are they near something that stings? Maybe a picture of the set up would help...

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had a big change in parameters for a while maybe Alk from 7-6.8 but that’s the biggest change I’ve seen and I have the hammers at the bottom of the tank the frogspawn was in the middle. And I can get a picture but it won’t be till Friday before I could get it.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have SPS that are doing well and LPS that are going down hill your tank may be to low on nutrients, do you target feed your LPS? If not do so.. also LED lighting can be very harsh compared to t5’s, need to start them out low and ramp them up over a week or two to avoid stressing some corals.. you may want to check your par levels

Animal Chin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with whites at 20% and blue at 50% you should be ok. "should"....lol Ahhhh reef tanks....

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
124180042329ab89d7194fbbf8735dae.jpg

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey , I recently switched from t5 to led. Everything seemed to doing fine but then my LPS (Frogspawn) started to die and that was a couple weeks ago and now its completely gone (20+ heads) now both of my hammers are started to die as well. Does anyone have any suggestion on what to do? My SPS is doing fine, I normally do a water change once a week or every other week, also my Alk is 6.8 try to keep it at 7 and Cal is at 410. The LEDs are sb reef lights and they are 13in above the tank set for 8 hours a day and W are at 20% and B is at 50%.[/

I wonder if the LED you bought is strong enough to give enough light to the corals, that's where you got to start, not all LED are good or strong enough for all corals...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back