Help Needed

Ctafesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

we are worried and could really use some help.......
A few months ago, we got our tank set up, parameters right, and started stocking our tank. We’ve got a clown tank, an Oscellaris, 2 cardinals, 2 cleaner wrasse’s, a diamond goby, and scooter goby, cleaner shrimp, and my precious mandarin goby
Our fish do not look like they are completely well, and about a week ago, we saw lots of “snow” looking junk in the tank. Given the whitish tinge on some of our babies, we started treating for Ich.
We’ve got a bunch of frags, and 3 nems, so we started dosing PolypLab medic, and giving Metroplex with Focus in their shrimp, as well as the seaweed. We have lost a couple fish, and I am concerned I may need to do something drastic.
my parameters are as follows

90 gallon Red Sea
PH 7.85
Temp 77
Alk 12.51
Ca 528
Mg 1334
Nitrates 5ppm
And salinity 35ppt

we do not have a quarantine tank, but we will be getting one today. My concern is that, even if I qt the fish that don’t look great, the Ich is probably all over the tank (if that is in fact the issue). I dont Have anywhere to put the coral and nems, otherwise, I would move all the livestock, and so an RO soak.
Anyone have any thoughts?

C915F42C-85D6-4583-83F7-7908526ED048.jpeg

D1F8A3B6-9DD2-4350-BAD3-8D3A11E9EC43.jpeg

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are all fish showing this snow sign? From the pictures you’ve post I don’t see anything out of the ordinary. The fish the have the snow effect at this point I would try a Fresh water dip for 5 mins. Any way to get pictures of the fish with showing symptoms? I do see a dot on the wrasse but that could be something in the water column as well. Are the fish eating as well? Any hiding from the light? Swimming in power heads?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only option would be to fallow the tank while the fish are in quarantine to let the ich go though it’s life cycle. Are they very fine powder like spots too many that you can’t count? Just trying to be sure it’s not velvet since you lost fish so fast. If it’s velvet you need to get this fish in copper ASAP

OP
OP
Ctafesh

Ctafesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all fish showing this snow sign? From the pictures you’ve post I don’t see anything out of the ordinary. The fish the have the snow effect at this point I would try a Fresh water dip for 5 mins. Any way to get pictures of the fish with showing symptoms? I do see a dot on the wrasse but that could be something in the water column as well. Are the fish eating as well? Any hiding from the light? Swimming in power heads?
Our Clown Tang is swimming in the power head but still eating (ive been using garlic guard)

image.jpg

OP
OP
Ctafesh

Ctafesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only option would be to fallow the tank while the fish are in quarantine to let the ich go though it’s life cycle. Are they very fine powder like spots too many that you can’t count? Just trying to be sure it’s not velvet since you lost fish so fast. If it’s velvet you need to get this fish in copper ASAP

When I fallow The tank, do I need To remove all coral and nems?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Our Clown Tang is swimming in the power head but still eating (ive been using garlic guard)

image.jpg
Can you turn the white lights on and try and take a picture of him? If velvet need to move fairly quickly.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man that Mandarin is massive. It to me almost looks like it’s bacterial.

OP
OP
Ctafesh

Ctafesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should the fallow be?

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you might be dealing with velvet the labored breathing the powdery dusty look and you said they are swimming into the powerhead do you have a QT tank where you can treat the fish with copper you need to act fast

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up copper power if you can and trust me spend the money on a Hanna copper tester, a fresh water bath can give some relief. A bath in Ruby Reef Rally if that’s available can also help. If you were around Dallas I would loan you everything

OP
OP
Ctafesh

Ctafesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you might be dealing with velvet the labored breathing the powdery dusty look and you said they are swimming into the powerhead do you have a QT tank where you can treat the fish with copper you need to act fast
Setting up a QT tank now. Thank you for your feedback. I really Appreciate all the assistance from everyone!

OP
OP
Ctafesh

Ctafesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up copper power if you can and trust me spend the money on a Hanna copper tester, a fresh water bath can give some relief. A bath in Ruby Reef Rally if that’s available can also help. If you were around Dallas I would loan you everything
That’s so sweet. We’re setting up the QT tank now. Got the copper and test. Really appreciate all your help!!

OP
OP
Ctafesh

Ctafesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guys at the LFS told us to leave the mandarin in the tank while it’s being fallowed because they don’t do well with copper. Will that keep the parasites multiplying?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back