Help, new anemone going downhill fast

bernoulli1221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the post states I got a new anemone 1 week ago and after being in the same spot and looking very happy for 3 days it suddenly moved and I couldn’t find it until today where i found it on the backside of a rock getting minimal flow and hardly any light and looking almost grey and super shrunken. It almost looked starved. I don’t think it’s my parameters because all my other corals (Zoas and Kenyan trees) are doing great. Could it be a lighting issue? My main light went out and I’m waiting for a replacement, im currently using a freshwater led on the blue setting (which seems to work for my other corals). I’m currently trying to feed it a piece of thawed frozen shrimp and it started to eat I believe, it also is still glowing under the blue lights. Sorry for the disorganization.

Side note: I’ve had the tank for two weeks but I bought it used with live rock and sand and I believe it’s been running long enough to be matured prior to my purchase.

Upon feeding I just saw it’s latched on and does look slightly better though still greyish and shriveled

AF50FCE2-D2CC-4DF8-9BC0-E77CF46080DF.jpeg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others might correct me but since an anemone is not a coral, I don’t think coral health is a good indicator of water quality for an anemone. I know people put nems into new tanks but I waited about a year before adding mine.

My experience with nems has been they need good light and good flow. Also, don’t try to force feed it. It’s a filter feeder so I don’t really feed directly. Every now and then I’ll make sure to feed it some brine shrimp but that’s about it.

What else do you have in the tank?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should post your water parameters so people can help. A pic in white light will help more.

zoa's and kenya tree's can survive in almost "toilet" conditions, it is not a good indicator of other animals health.

As mentioned above, 2 weeks old tank is extremely new by all means, I don't put any life in my tanks for 3-4 weeks. Anemone is a sensitive delicate animal that won't accept the same conditions that zoa's and kenya's will accept.

I believe a freshwater led can deliver the very basic that a low demanding coral like zoa or kenya tree require, but will be a challenge to grow anything that requires stronger light.

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't feed it while it is not happy. Sometime this can put too much demand on a weak system and push them over the edge.

Nems can be fussy and like stable salinity and other parameters. Does this tank have an ATO to prevent salinity swings throughout the day?

They do like high quality intense light so I would get that issue resolved as soon as possible.

OP
OP
B

bernoulli1221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should post your water parameters so people can help. A pic in white light will help more.

zoa's and kenya tree's can survive in almost "toilet" conditions, it is not a good indicator of other animals health.

As mentioned above, 2 weeks old tank is extremely new by all means, I don't put any life in my tanks for 3-4 weeks. Anemone is a sensitive delicate animal that won't accept the same conditions that zoa's and kenya's will accept.

I believe a freshwater led can deliver the very basic that a low demanding coral like zoa or kenya tree require, but will be a challenge to grow anything that requires stronger light.
I’m leaving towards it bring the lack of a quality light, hopefully my replacement comes in soon enough.

OP
OP
B

bernoulli1221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't feed it while it is not happy. Sometime this can put too much demand on a weak system and push them over the edge.

Nems can be fussy and like stable salinity and other parameters. Does this tank have an ATO to prevent salinity swings throughout the day?

They do like high quality intense light so I would get that issue resolved as soon as possible.
I’m pretty sure it’s the light, I have an ato so that shouldn’t be a problem, thanks for the info on feeding!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back