HELP new clam came in an empty bag

Boco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i just recieved a new maxima clam in a bag where the water only came halfway up the clam. It appears to be hanging in there as its aclimating now but i want to know is there anything i need to do to make sure it has the best chance to survive? Any tips im newer to clams but i was not expecting this in the shipment.. i will send a picture once it warms up since it also came with cold water.. I think it was colder then expected when they shipped.

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the bag leaking or was it packaged like that? I’m guessing the clam was shut closed too right? Only thing you can do is have it placed and wait and see. I think it’s probably ok.

OP
OP
Boco

Boco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the bag leaking or was it packaged like that? I’m guessing the clam was shut closed too right? Only thing you can do is have it placed and wait and see. I think it’s probably ok.
The bag leaked in the packaging, the clam was open when i got it back in water and is now closed.. i read about aor getting under the shell but wasn't sure what steps needed to be taken. I called live aquaria and they said to make sure to rotate the clam in water while aclimating to try and get air out. But i wamted to see if anyone else had other thoughts since the clam was mostly dry

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fortunately, it was able to remain wet. I assume you have acclimated it already.. . . I would have added a halp cup of water from tank every 15 mins 8-10 times, then tested the salinity in bag and lowered clam into tank and set in place.
At this point observe it for overall health. If youre not aware, its' basic requirements are:

Temp not to exceed 80
salinity not to exceed 1.025
ph not to exceed 8.3
good lighting
Feed Phytoplankton daily
Alk not to exceed 9
CA not to exceed 450

OP
OP
Boco

Boco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately, it was able to remain wet. I assume you have acclimated it already.. . . I would have added a halp cup of water from tank every 15 mins 8-10 times, then tested the salinity in bag and lowered clam into tank and set in place.
At this point observe it for overall health. If youre not aware, its' basic requirements are:

Temp not to exceed 80
salinity not to exceed 1.025
ph not to exceed 8.3
good lighting
Feed Phytoplankton daily
Alk not to exceed 9
CA not to exceed 450
Thank you, im still aclimating right now but i wanted to make sure to seek out advise to increase survival chances. My parameters are all inline and acceptable. Its just a very pretty clam (wysiwyg) and im very excited to add it in.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you, im still aclimating right now but i wanted to make sure to seek out advise to increase survival chances. My parameters are all inline and acceptable. Its just a very pretty clam (wysiwyg) and im very excited to add it in.
Once settled in, inspect it daily for presence of any tulip looking pyramid snail which is a clam killer. When it opens, look inside the gap for any crabs which steal food supply/

Pyramid:

1607038792053.png

OP
OP
Boco

Boco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once settled in, inspect it daily for presence of any tulip looking pyramid snail which is a clam killer. When it opens, look inside the gap for any crabs which steal food supply/

Pyramid:

1607038792053.png
Thank you! I will do that and if it opens in the tank i will add in a picture. Im planning to place in the sand on the small rocks that was attached to the base atleast until i get it aclimated to my lighting and its doing okay.

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bag leaked in the packaging, the clam was open when i got it back in water and is now closed.. i read about aor getting under the shell but wasn't sure what steps needed to be taken. I called live aquaria and they said to make sure to rotate the clam in water while aclimating to try and get air out. But i wamted to see if anyone else had other thoughts since the clam was mostly dry
Yeah you don’t have to shake or it or anything but rotate upside down and a few times to release any possible air bubbles.

OP
OP
Boco

Boco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you don’t have to shake or it or anything but rotate upside down and a few times to release any possible air bubbles.
Cool thank you for confirming that! I appreciate it! Thats what i imagined but hadnt found much to confirm.

OP
OP
Boco

Boco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it acclimated and added into the tank. Its opening very little so i have hope that it will make it. Its only been in a few hours. The lights are going off for the night so i cant really get a picture right now. Ill post it tomorrow when the lights come up.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the wild clams get exposed to air. Ofc they don’t have the added stress of being shipped and bounced around and temp swings. Hopefully it will be just fine.

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. That sucks man. Unfortunate circumstances for sure.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well i appreciate the help offered, but it did not make it. I thought it was opening but it was dead.
Oh no
Hopefully you took pics of it how it was received

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back