LB Dantzler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I have a 55 gallon fish only tank. So far we have a pair of clowns, a blue spotted puffer, and a pair of cardinals. We had a flame angel but she started going after one of the cardinals so we took her back. Now were in the market for another fish or two to complete our tank.

With the fish we have so far, and the fact that it's only a 55 gallon, I was wondering what fish you guys think would be a good fit. We want something colorful, but something thats peaceful and moderately easy to care for.

So far we're considering a fox face, a yellow tang, a handful of different wrasses, and some dwarf angels, but we're just looking for someone with experience to help us out. We just want our fish to be happy!

Thanks!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange back fairy wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, or a flasher wrasse would all be nice. The yellow coris, which isn't really a coris, needs a suitable sand bed to sleep in so if you have very coarse sand, pass on it. I've had all three I listed together along with a yellow tang, couple of clowns, watchman goby, firefish(who shared a barnacle with the orange back to sleep in, very cute), and a bicolor blenny. A 55 may be a bit small for a tang but ymmv. Personally, I love my orange back and when we broke down the tank to move it, along with the clowns which were my first fish, were the only ones I kept over at a friends house until I could set the tank back up.

david berry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue spot puffer took bites out of my clown fish it's a predator fish n should be with more aggressive fish or kept singly

LBehr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending how much you want to spend any fairy wrasse would be cool. They should get along with everything you have and can be pretty dang colorful. The radiant rmwrasse is one of my favorites. Just make sure your tank has good lid.

LBehr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue spot puffer took bites out of my clown fish it's a predator fish n should be with more aggressive fish or kept singly

I agree this will eventually be a problem. Ive heard of them being a perfect gentleman for years then one morning you wake up and they've murdered all your fish and are sitting there smiling at you. Should be kept in either predator tank or just with other spotted puffers.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2¢, but I think a 55 is too small for any tang, and I'm fairly certain the same goes for the rabbits. Some may say otherwise, in which case I'll go get one myself!
I assume it's a fowler setup, with the blue spot (I love those!), so any of the dwarf angels would be good, although the flame is one of the better behaved in that family. Maybe try a coral beauty.
The wrasse family has a species for every system. Look at the flasher or fairy wrasses, they're my favorites, and I think you could have a male and a couple females of either. Be warned, they are notorious jumpers!
Another interesting addition could be a snowflake moray. They're a great conversation piece.

LBehr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider a 55 to be the right on the line for zebrasoma tangs. Those tangs usually take longer than others like the hippo and naso to grow and don't generally need the swimming distance. It's ultimately up to you but if you were going to do it I'd start with a small one. Be prepared though people will disagree and you will hear about it every time you post a tank pic. I wouldn't do it myself but I feel like it's better than other tanks I've seen them in.

OP
OP
LB Dantzler

LB Dantzler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree this will eventually be a problem. Ive heard of them being a perfect gentleman for years then one morning you wake up and they've murdered all your fish and are sitting there smiling at you. Should be kept in either predator tank or just with other spotted puffers.

Uh oh, well we had the clowns in for a few weeks before we added the puffer now, its been over a month and they seem to be friends, but we'll definitely keep an eye on them! Everything we read said that these were the only kind of puffer that would be ok with smaller fish.

We really like the fairy wrasse, think that may be one of our next additions

OP
OP
LB Dantzler

LB Dantzler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2¢, but I think a 55 is too small for any tang, and I'm fairly certain the same goes for the rabbits. Some may say otherwise, in which case I'll go get one myself!
I assume it's a fowler setup, with the blue spot (I love those!), so any of the dwarf angels would be good, although the flame is one of the better behaved in that family. Maybe try a coral beauty.
The wrasse family has a species for every system. Look at the flasher or fairy wrasses, they're my favorites, and I think you could have a male and a couple females of either. Be warned, they are notorious jumpers!
Another interesting addition could be a snowflake moray. They're a great conversation piece.

I'd love to get a snowflake moray, those look awesome, gonna be tough to talk my wife into it though! Love the flasher and fairy wrasses, may go that route to start

david berry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was gentleman till lights were turned out hope it plays out better for you happy fishin

LBehr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what I was thinking of green spotted puffer. Those guys are freaking evil. I think the blue spot are better behaved... for a puffer. I'd still be careful but they aren't the homicidal maniacs that I was thinking of.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to get a snowflake moray, those look awesome, gonna be tough to talk my wife into it though! Love the flasher and fairy wrasses, may go that route to start
I got a snowflake as a LR hitchhiker in my first tank. Talk about a surprise!
I currently have a male Tricolor, very pretty fish.
IMG_20170211_120316_1.jpg

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm preying for those cardinals!
If it's a fowler than keep semi aggressive and aggressive fish.
I would of kept that flame angel and took the cardinal fish back. Just my 2 cents since you want color.
Oh yah Fairy wrasse and orchid Dottyback for some pop!

OP
OP
LB Dantzler

LB Dantzler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what I was thinking of green spotted puffer. Those guys are freaking evil. I think the blue spot are better behaved... for a puffer. I'd still be careful but they aren't the homicidal maniacs that I was thinking of.

Phew, had me worried, I know there's still some risk based on what we've read, but we'll keep an eye on him

LBehr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where you are but I always shop around for wrasses. Im in Omaha and have noticed that prices vary greatly between 3 lfs in town on wrasses in particular.

OP
OP
LB Dantzler

LB Dantzler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where you are but I always shop around for wrasses. Im in Omaha and have noticed that prices vary greatly between 3 lfs in town on wrasses in particular.

I'm in Tampa, but I've started to notice that too with some other fish, I'll have to keep it in mind when I'm buying my wrasse

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue spotted puffers are usually pretty well behaved with tankmates.

I would recommend against a tang or foxface in a 55. All tangs are fairly active.

Flasher wrasses and most fairy wrasses will work. Though I would only do one specimen per species per tank. Wrasses don't form bonded prs so don't get a male and a female.

Other colorful options include: flame hawkfish, longnose hawkfish, purple tilefish, royal gramma.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tangs have been kept in 55 gallons since the 80's when it was considered decent sized tank. as long as you have good flow they are fine. my buddy kept his for 13 years in a 55 with no issues and mine lived in a 75 for 15 Years before I moved him to a 150. they are extremely hardy fish and most don't get above 5-6 inches. I wouldn't put one in anything smaller than a 55.

Back