Help! Planning a Reef Scuba Diving Vacation!

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend of 5 years is graduating nursing school in June and we are looking to take a vacation to celebrate. Being the reef addict that I am, if i'm buying then I want to go to a coral reef.

My girlfriend's brother in law is a scuba instructor so we are looking to do that as well.

I am looking for recommendations on which reef to go to, who to book the trip through, when to go as well as any other information that might be useful.

I don't care if the advice is first hand or word of mouth. All is welcome!

Thanks in advance guys!

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The great barrier reef is pretty darn awesome. I went in 2012. I used this cruise- Coral Princess Cruises I Australia?s small ship cruise line | Luxury and experiential small ship cruises to the Great Barrier Reef, Kimberley, Cape York, Papua New Guinea, Melanesia and New Zealand And I LOVED them. A bit expensive but the boats are smaller which means less passengers, more personalized service, the food was AMAZING. I got to scuba 6 times in a week. It could have probably have been more, and it will help a ton if you are certified (but they can take uncertified divers). (Here is an album of photos from the cruise- Great Barrier Reef Cruise Photos by Dcksgomoo | Photobucket)
I have seen this place drifting around and it seems cool- Great Barrier Reef Tour with Seawalker @ Green Island Australia

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Caribbean check out the sandals resorts. I have been to St. Lucia, Bahamas, Jamaica, and Turks and Caicos (Six Times!)

Diving is included and the resorts are all inclusive. IMO is the best way to go you know how much the trip will cost before you leave.

I have also been to Bonaire, Curacao, and Cozumel.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The great barrier reef is pretty darn awesome. I went in 2012. I used this cruise- Coral Princess Cruises I Australia?s small ship cruise line | Luxury and experiential small ship cruises to the Great Barrier Reef, Kimberley, Cape York, Papua New Guinea, Melanesia and New Zealand And I LOVED them. A bit expensive but the boats are smaller which means less passengers, more personalized service, the food was AMAZING. I got to scuba 6 times in a week. It could have probably have been more, and it will help a ton if you are certified (but they can take uncertified divers). (Here is an album of photos from the cruise- Great Barrier Reef Cruise Photos by Dcksgomoo | Photobucket)
I have seen this place drifting around and it seems cool- Great Barrier Reef Tour with Seawalker @ Green Island Australia
+1 i used to dive Cozumel but it seems that the reefs are dieing out.

OP
OP
JMSKI333

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the budget?

I don't know honestly. I would not be afraid to spend upwards of 4k if it was the trip of a lifetime. Ideally it would be closer to 2k though. Am I dreaming with a 2-3k budget?

You guys are literally my first resource so far. This decision was made today lol.

For everyone else that replied, when going on your vacations, were you diving with a large group of people or was it a smaller group? I don't want to go somewhere where there is going to be like 50 people splashing around petting sting rays. I want to feel like I am in my own private reef. Do you know what I mean?

I have a lot of reading to do from your posts.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone else that replied, when going on your vacations, were you diving with a large group of people or was it a smaller group? I don't want to go somewhere where there is going to be like 50 people splashing around petting sting rays. I want to feel like I am in my own private reef. Do you know what I mean?

We dived in groups of ~3 "customers" and 1 dive instructor. But I was with the rookies so I don't know how different it would be for the certified divers. (for the most part, on my cruise, the instructor would try and split the groups into certified and non-certified). We dove in areas with no other boats/divers and usually away from the people snorkeling/on the shore. We did a few dives out in the ocean and we dove from the boat (so awesome, they have a huge lift for the smaller boat that has a glass bottom, and we would use the lift to get into the water). Definitely look through my photos, that should give you a good idea of what you get, I even have scans of the daily itinerary.
If you decide not to go with "my" place, I suggest searching for places that their main thing is diving. Don't bother with any of those huge commercial things. My 2 cents.

OP
OP
JMSKI333

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We dived in groups of ~3 "customers" and 1 dive instructor. But I was with the rookies so I don't know how different it would be for the certified divers. (for the most part, on my cruise, the instructor would try and split the groups into certified and non-certified). We dove in areas with no other boats/divers and usually away from the people snorkeling/on the shore. We did a few dives out in the ocean and we dove from the boat (so awesome, they have a huge lift for the smaller boat that has a glass bottom, and we would use the lift to get into the water). Definitely look through my photos, that should give you a good idea of what you get, I even have scans of the daily itinerary.
If you decide not to go with "my" place, I suggest searching for places that their main thing is diving. Don't bother with any of those huge commercial things. My 2 cents.

I looked through your albums. Thank you so much for sharing, that must have been an amazing trip! I would love to go to the Great Barrier Reef but I think it might be out of my budget. Diving with only a few other people would be amazing. I will look for Dive-driven vacations. Maybe I can get some sort of bargain.

I have a feeling my best bet is going to be the Caribbean, Hawaii, or south America. Anyone else have any input?

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote Caribbean you can get great deals.

We love the sandals resorts sandals.com they are all inclusive. I bet if you show your girlfriend she will love them. Diving is include too. And at 60$ per tank it gets expensive quick

jduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For under 4k you would be best to look at cozumel. Sandals resorts are nice all inclusive. 2 tank dives and unlimited beach dives per day. But it may be out of your price range. 2k+ per person + airfare.
Scuba lessons tend to be expensive as well. $250 and does not inclued equipment. Mask, fins, snorkel $250, another 1k if your even considering regulator and bcd,

I would check your local dive shop they typically put together trips. And you could do your class through them, & rent their gear for trip they should have an open water dive drip to Florida.

OP
OP
JMSKI333

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For under 4k you would be best to look at cozumel. Sandals resorts are nice all inclusive. 2 tank dives and unlimited beach dives per day. But it may be out of your price range. 2k+ per person + airfare.
Scuba lessons tend to be expensive as well. $250 and does not inclued equipment. Mask, fins, snorkel $250, another 1k if your even considering regulator and bcd,

I would check your local dive shop they typically put together trips. And you could do your class through them, & rent their gear for trip they should have an open water dive drip to Florida.

My girflriend's brother in law does the scuba certification so that expense should be minimal. I got the impression of Sandal resorts being cheesy and real commercial and I honestly didn't even consider it. Am I wrong to thing that?

This isn't going to be my Honeymoon or anything so I am not looking for something super romantic. (don't let my girlfriend see that).

Tell me more about Cozumel.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 146 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back