Help Royal Gramma does it have ick?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma suddenly looks like this. One of his tankmates has chewed on his tail and now these tiny white spots are showing. He is rubbing the sand floor. Can you identify if it is ick?
If so, is Seachem Paraguard good to use? Thank you! #reefsquad

1590973091200.png

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your signal to the Reef Squad worked, but I'm useless when it comes to fish treatments.
Hopefully others will jump in here soon!

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always hard to tell from one photo, but that does look like a parasite. I would isolate that fish if you can just to make sure it doesn't spread. Just cross your fingers it's not velvet. I've only had a fish with Ick once, but that was years ago and the copper dip I did is not on the market anymore. Sorry I can't help with a treatment, but I would definitely isolate.

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely ich or velvet. That fish also looks like it got pretty beaten up by something. Probably didn't help with its stress levels and stressed fish fight off infections poorly.
I suspect my yellow tail damsel went after him. :( I have moved him out of the tank.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dip works temporarily but it does work make sure you feed him alot too hopefully hes still eating and yes you can use treatments but in a separate tank

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal Gramma had ick. I treated with tank transfer method and fresh water dips. He hated my guts the entire time and about a week later. Healed him up just fine.

I didn't have a QT tank setup. But I did have the parts for a pair of tanks for TTM. Monitor ammonia and make sure you clean the tanks very well

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal Gramma had ick. I treated with tank transfer method and fresh water dips. He hated my guts the entire time and about a week later. Healed him up just fine.
So I thought they brought ick home from the LFS? Will do a fresh water treatment tonight. He has been eating fine today and luckily just noticed the problem a few hours ago.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea if hes still eating good sign fresh water dip you'll see the ich falls off keep him swimming dont let him sit still
By the way r.o water not tap water not trying to offend you either but I was away on a trip my wife had to dip the fish because I was away for 2 weeks she used tap water and that was the end of the poor little fellow

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way r.o water not tap water not trying to offend you either but I was away on a trip my wife had to dip the fish because I was away for 2 weeks she used tap water and that was the end of the poor little fellow
And temp match. I even put just a little fresh saltwater too buffer pH

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the ro water in a small container let the container float in your tank so it gets the same temperature then add the fish 1min move him around with your fingers dont let him sit still the whole minute watch how it starts following off and then add him back to the tank

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't offend me. I had some RO water and he took a dip. He is resting now in the dark with a place to hide.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%

Back