Help setting up a new tank!

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys i have a dumb question need advice with so today i got myself a bio cube 32 and currently have a 9 month old 10 gallon what would be the best steps to take on setting up my bio cube ASAP

My idea - buy live sand / fill with water / put it live rock i got from a private seller / put in a lot of stability by searchem / next day take my 10g live rock transfer if over than my fish and than the corals? Advice idea other methods or wait no idea never done this!

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved my 29 gallon to a 75 gallon I used a good part of my sand and all my rock. Added some more dry Caribsea rock and transfered some of the water as well. Everything went fine with out a cycle or any issues. When I added more live stock I slowly so there was not spike in nitrate, nitrites, or ammonia. Have not lost a fish yet other than a Pergo surfing clown.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved my 29 gallon to a 75 gallon I used a good part of my sand and all my rock. Added some more dry Caribsea rock and transfered some of the water as well. Everything went fine with out a cycle or any issues. When I added more live stock I slowly so there was not spike in nitrate, nitrites, or ammonia. Have not lost a fish yet other than a Pergo surfing clown.
How you add the sand into your new tank did you Syphon it into the tank keeping he tube low?

Daniel Morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a good plan to begin with.I would do that myself. But make sure your water clears up before adding your fish to the new system.Also make sure to check Nitrogen cycle constantly.I would do small weekly water changes changes until you feel tank is biologically stable. I would try least 5-7 gallon water changes at first then over a few months if parameters seem constant maybe reduce water changes as needed (depending on bioload).

Daniel Morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also use a lid from a 5 gallon bucket to keep the sand from getting stirred up when pouring in new water.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or anything really.
Sweet atleast i got the basics down also that’s the original plan Ima setup my backup two overflows work foams and filter floss run it full power make sure water clears out fast and settles once that happen I’ll throw in the live rock so the sand doesn’t settle on the rock pores, after that process is complete I’ll throw in my remaining rock from the tank it’s got some corals in it glued hopefully they’ll be fine I’ll make sure to test everything before that phase. (( also i my 10 gallon tank got bristle worms most likely in all the rock any way to clean the rocks up before adding them without frying everything off them only the bristles?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back