Help- Strange, Sudden Streaking on Secale

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I arrived home tonight I noticed that my BC Secale has suddenly developed streaks on its skin that seem to emanate from the polyps . The coral is deep blue with fluorescent green polyps and the streaks match the color of the polyps. This picture shows the streaks- sorry not the greatest but camera isn't cooperating tonight.

Secale Streaks.jpg

Parameters are all in line and Alk is 7.1 (running Triton Core7). Only recent issue in the tank is elevated Tin on last ICP which I've addressed by finding/removing the source and running polyfilter/cuprisorb for the last week or so.

All other corals (many other SPS, Acans and a large hammer) look fine, are all acting normally and polyps are out. Has anyone seen anything like this before or have any idea what could be causing it? Ran a few searches and haven't been able to turn anything up.

Last edited:

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My monti did this when nutrients were low. I skipped a few wc's and it went back to "normal".

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe the two are related. The Monti has some bacterial thing going on maybe and the acropora looks like something different, never seen it that I can remember.

OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone and agreed @Pedoconfuego, it looks like something different. I've been searching all over and can't find a thing. It's looking the same today and I got another shot from above that shows the streaks well. It's like directional swirls that come from the polyps, all heading in the same general direction.

Secale Streaks 2.jpg

Everything else in the tank looks 100% normal and even the secale has polyps out and doesn't appear to be bleaching or doing anything else unusual. Appreciate any other guesses/ideas that anyone has. Thanks!

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea why but my tricolor valida does this around polyps on its encrusting edge, sometimes more noticeable than others, never over the entire colony though. It is happy and growing. Sorry for bad pics
IMAG2455.jpg
IMAG2275.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back