Help With Dinos

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help with my Dino issue in my 38 gallon AIO reef tank. It has been about 2 month of having them and about 3 weeks of treating them. So far I have been dosing microbacter 7, microbacter clean, and phyto. Thus far I really do not see any difference in the dinos. Would anybody be able to post a thread with steps on how to beat them or if someone would be able to post how to beat them in this chat. I believe I have the strain which does not go water born as I have been running UV for over a week with no difference. I have not done a water change in a little over a week. My corals (LPS) seem to be taking a hit from this algae as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Uploaded a picture taken a couple weeks ago, it is slightly worse since then. Also worth mentioning I tried some manual removal last night, and the algae that was removed appeared to be green. Is this perhaps not Dino or can Dino look green when out of the water? Thanks again in advance.

IMG_6756.jpeg

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like algae to me.
So not Dino? Majority of what is in the tank now appears more brown, some strings, and air bubbles attached when the lights are on. As well as sand bed, some spots have a brown mat over it

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait till the lights have been on a couple hours then get a photo. Or put a piece of filter floss on the glass opposite a power head and see what starts to develop. That will help limit down what it could be a little more then we can go from there

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not Dino? Majority of what is in the tank now appears more brown, some strings, and air bubbles attached when the lights are on. As well as sand bed, some spots have a brown mat over it
That is definitely Dino. The snot bubbles are the tell.
As far as treatment, you will read a huge range of opinions on what to do. Lots of these contradicting each other. I like your approach with bacteria dosing. I’m also fighting dino’s.
The overall conclusion that everyone agrees on, is that it will eventually get out competed and die off. Tank maturity seems to play a big role.
Good luck!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some pics of the sand bed when you can it will help.. I don’t believe what you show on the rocks are Dino’s even thou I see bubbles… that could be the algae just exhausting..

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait till the lights have been on a couple hours then get a photo. Or put a piece of filter floss on the glass opposite a power head and see what starts to develop. That will help limit down what it could be a little more then we can go from there
Will do, thank you, I’ll continue to post photos with lights on. Appreciate the help!

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some pics of the sand bed when you can it will help.. I don’t believe what you show on the rocks are Dino’s even thou I see bubbles… that could be the algae just exhausting..
Would love if that is the algae exhausting lol. But I will post pics later today of the sand bed when lights are on. Thank you!

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as treatment, you will read a huge range of opinions on what to do. Lots of these contradicting each other. I like your approach with bacteria dosing. I’m also fighting dino’s.
The overall conclusion that everyone agrees on, is that it will eventually get out competed and die off. Tank maturity seems to play a big role.
Good luck!
Thank you WestMI-Reefer. Tank is just over 1 year old and unfortunately this is the first thing I’ve started battling. Just strange because I haven’t changed any practices with the tank the entire year, and this just randomly occurred.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good luck!
I got rid of dinos 3 times in 3 different tanks by removing the entire sand bed and afterwards adding bacteria and pods (Reefcleaners mixed blend). It worked and dinos never came back.

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a blend of dinos and algae.
I’m starting to think it is a blend, when I took some out last night, there was green coloration. My nitrates read 0 so I’m going to try dosing nitrate and seee if I can get some other algae growth to starve it out.

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have any thought on if I throw some chaeto algae in the tank? Would that be beneficial for this?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have any thought on if I throw some chaeto algae in the tank? Would that be beneficial for this?
If your nitrates truly are zero then no… if you have Dino’s no.. if it’s just hair algae growing on the rocks then yes it would help compete for what nutrients you do have.

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your nitrates truly are zero then no… if you have Dino’s no.. if it’s just hair algae growing on the rocks then yes it would help compete for what nutrients you do have.
Thank you Troylee, appreciate that input

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back