Help With Dinos

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to think it is a blend, when I took some out last night, there was green coloration. My nitrates read 0 so I’m going to try dosing nitrate and seee if I can get some other algae growth to starve it out.
I am starting the process of the Dino's battle. Make sure when you are dosing nitrates you have a way to increase phosphates or it will throw everything out of wack. Having GHA and Dino's in hindsight isn't a bad thing. GHA will hopefully win the battle and then it's just a CUC away from looking nice.

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting the process of the Dino's battle. Make sure when you are dosing nitrates you have a way to increase phosphates or it will throw everything out of wack. Having GHA and Dino's in hindsight isn't a bad thing. GHA will hopefully win the battle and then it's just a CUC away from looking nice.
Thank you CWalters, im hoping some extra feedings will assist with the phosphates as well. Goodluck with your battle

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet for figuring out how to beat them is look at them under a microscope. Certain types of dino's can be defeated with the help of a UV sterilizer, others cannot.
Best bet for figuring out how to beat them is look at them under a microscope. Certain types of dino's can be defeated with the help of a UV sterilizer, others cannot.
Yeah I keep reading that, I ran a UV for a little over a week with no progress, so I chalked it up to being the strain that UV doesn’t work on. I wound up discontinuing UV because I have been dosing bacteria and phyto and I didn’t want the UV to kill that.

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I keep reading that, I ran a UV for a little over a week with no progress, so I chalked it up to being the strain that UV doesn’t work on. I wound up discontinuing UV because I have been dosing bacteria and phyto and I didn’t want the UV to kill that.
Would be a good idea to take a turkey baster at night and blow off the rocks if it is ostreopsis dinos. Change filter socks every morning then.

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be a good idea to take a turkey baster at night and blow off the rocks if it is ostreopsis dinos. Change filter socks every morning then.
I wanted to do that but held off only because I was worried that it would spread it? Is that possible? And thank you for your replies!

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try raising your tank temp to 82-83. This in combination with a filter roller and UV help eliminate my dinos.

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try raising your tank temp to 82-83. This in combination with a filter roller and UV help eliminate my dinos.
Hey Vabben, I forgot to mention, I did gradually raise the temp from 78 to 83 deg. Thanks!

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do that but held off only because I was worried that it would spread it? Is that possible? And thank you for your replies!
Also... One thing that I did SOOOO wrong because I thought I was just dealing with GHA was water changes weekly. Hold off on water changes unless your numbers are high.

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also... One thing that I did SOOOO wrong because I thought I was just dealing with GHA was water changes weekly. Hold off on water changes unless your numbers are high.
I made that mistake in the beginning, didn’t realize what it was and made 2 big water changes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Nitrates dont have to be zero but become zero when consumed by the dino cell. I agree on this looking like algae with gas bubbles trying to escape. Start will pulling as much as you can by hand and allowing cleanup snails such as cerith-astrea-turbo and trochus to help control.
Is this tank at or by a window by chance?

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates dont have to be zero but become zero when consumed by the dino cell. I agree on this looking like algae with gas bubbles trying to escape. Start will pulling as much as you can by hand and allowing cleanup snails such as cerith-astrea-turbo and trochus to help control.
Not saying this is the case with the OP, but I thought I just had algae with bubbles. Pulled it, introduced a bunch of snails. Most snails just ended up dying up. (Assuming from the consuming the dinos)

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is not by a window, I am going to upload a pic now if the tank since lights have been on for a bit

OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is kind of tough to tell in the pictures, but the rock seems to be covered in this brown algae. In the picture with the.L zoas those rocks are completely covered over with a brown algae

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
toddb93

toddb93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is more of a brownish/green

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 42

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back