Help with formulated plan to beat dinos.

downingmr713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I’m currently battling dinos and this is my plan of action using Brightwell Aquatic's NeoPhos and NeoNitro. both nitrate and phosphate have bottomed out and are at 0ppm. tank lights have been off for 2 days and dinos have died down very slightly. temp has been raised to 79 degrees also. can a reefer check this and make sure I’m not about to completely destroy my tank?

current level nitrate: 0
desired level nitrate: 5ppm

NeoNitro dosage calculation: ⬇️
tank gallons x ppm increase x .1261
75gallons x 5ppm x .1261
add 47.29mL NeoNitro

current level phosphate: 0
desired level phosphate: .07ppm

NeoPhos dosage calculation: ⬇️
tank gallons x ppm increase x 3.785
75gallons x .07ppm x 3.785
add 19.87mL NeoPhos

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I’m currently battling dinos and this is my plan of action using Brightwell Aquatic's NeoPhos and NeoNitro. both nitrate and phosphate have bottomed out and are at 0ppm. tank lights have been off for 2 days and dinos have died down very slightly. temp has been raised to 79 degrees also. can a reefer check this and make sure I’m not about to completely destroy my tank?

current level nitrate: 0
desired level nitrate: 5ppm

NeoNitro dosage calculation: ⬇️
tank gallons x ppm increase x .1261
75gallons x 5ppm x .1261
add 47.29mL NeoNitro

current level phosphate: 0
desired level phosphate: .07ppm

NeoPhos dosage calculation: ⬇️
tank gallons x ppm increase x 3.785
75gallons x .07ppm x 3.785
add 19.87mL NeoPhos

Have had good results dosing up phosphates up with Seachem’s Flourish Phosphorus.

What brand of test kits are you using?

Once you are able to bring up and hold your nitrates and phosphates.

Bring in some good pods and dose AlgaeBarn's OceanMagik live pytoplankton

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found the neophos way too diluted. I mixed my own from Randy's calculations from sodium basic diphosphate.

Neonitrate I think is kno3, which adds sodium (bit a big deal) but ESV's nitrate product is calcium nitrate and I use it.

Pods and phytoplankton did nothing for my dinos. Dinos will kill pods, and I didn't think the phyto did anything except provide them carbon, but some people swear by them.

I finally killed them off following the BRS method. UV, blackout (include sump), dose a natural additive to take up their places on the rock (I used mb7), and keep nitrate and phosphate above zero. Individually none of these were enough for me, but together they kicked it.

I'm also dosing silicates to grow my diatom population as they are allopathic to dinos. I took a scraping from my glass today and was able to see diatoms.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Keep it simple.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toxic Dino’s may kill off pods.

Got to get a true microscope ID to determine which Dino’s that one is dealing with.

UV will only kill the species that go free swimming at night.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it simple.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Water changes will help keep nutrients low and fuel up more Dino’s

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming from someone who went through this Dino madness:

I think ensuring nutrients aren’t 0ppm. Limiting photoperiod, and cleaning filter socks daily and/or installing UV is what will help beat it.

But here’s what nobody tells you, these dinos will NOT last forever! Maybe about 2 months max if you follow the advice. Don’t make the mistake I made where I kept chasing rainbows and magic bottled solutions…they didn’t work. Also, do not grossly overfeed, that made it worse as well.

Patience is really the best medicine for Dino’s.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Toxic Dino’s may kill off pods.

Got to get a true microscope ID to determine which Dino’s that one is dealing with.

UV will only kill the species that go free swimming at night.

I purchased a decent one on Amazon for $79 and it's worth being able to identify what Dino's I was dealing with.

Changes the stratagey dramatically. I would check this group out. Very helpful

Attachments

• Dealing With Dinos - Rev E - Published April 2021 (4).pdf
    2 MB · Views: 125

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a decent one on Amazon for $79 and it's worth being able to identify what Dino's I was dealing with.

Changes the stratagey dramatically. I would check this group out. Very helpful

You did good.

Jason Mack is a Dino Jedi Master… :)

Back