Help with Green BTA

Sharis100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green BTA has been happily living on a rock shelf with its clowns for quite some time.
bf524c1b3d0b96868ffa55230682a6a0.jpg

This morning woke up and apparently the GBTA decided to walk to the underside of its former home. It is now in a cave like position with only a small portion sticking out of the back in the light. It’s female clown has followed as best she can, but clearly the clowns are frustrated with their BTA.
55d3eeb12a3c3ff2ca546ab230dff7ca.jpg

Should I do anything? There is no way I can spot feed in that position, but hopefully the clowns will continue to feed and host in that awkward position [emoji30]. Could the Xenia have bothered it?

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem looks a bit small for both clowns. They may have loved it a bit too much and it's looking for relief. Other thought, could just be the pic, but the nem look slightly bleached. It may be trying to find an area of lower PAR/PUR.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sharis100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem looks a bit small for both clowns. They may have loved it a bit too much and it's looking for relief. Other thought, could just be the pic, but the nem look slightly bleached. It may be trying to find an area of lower PAR/PUR.

Sorry for poor quality picks with my cellphone. No, the color is green and consistent. Only the female actually goes into the BTA, the male clown just nervously hovers nearby. It was mushed between the rocks, at one time it covered most of the ledge when fully opened, so I guess it has been traveling underneath the ledge for a while??? Still getting light from the backside, I just can’t see unless I climb on ladder and look down in tank from top... lol.

OP
OP
S

Sharis100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for poor quality picks with my cellphone. No, the color is green and consistent. Only the female actually goes into the BTA, the male clown just nervously hovers nearby. It was mushed between the rocks, at one time it covered most of the ledge when fully opened, so I guess it has been traveling underneath the ledge for a while??? Still getting light from the backside, I just can’t see unless I climb on ladder and look down in tank from top... lol.

Also, the female clown down not want to give the BTA a moment of peace or privacy. Could the BTA be running away from the clown?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not expect the Xenia to bother the BTA enough to cause it to move. The BTA almost always wins battles with corals. Even around toxin emitting soft corals. For example I have a BTA near both a Toadstool Leather and some Palythoas. My anemone has been stinging the Palythoas and has shown no ill effect to what I must assume is the Playthoas fighting back with toxins.
15343BE9-D7E5-4A6B-BC7F-1B4EEB323B42.jpeg

Can you share a little more about your tank? What size is it, what lighting do you use? Any changes in light or flow recently? How are the tanks parameters? Any changes there recently in say salinity, temperature or other measured levels?

Anemones are strange creatures and often do weird things without explanation. I would definitely let it figure it out for itself and not try to move it.

OP
OP
S

Sharis100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA have generally split if they move and hide. They seem to “wander off” to split.

I am wondering if it is splitting- so strange. Now it is peering out of the back of the rock ledge. It looks super long and twisted.
[emoji33]no idea what it is doing. All my tank parameters are stable. PH solid 7.89, temp solid, alk and cal and mag are all stable. Water changes done like clockwork. Lights on same schedule no changes - I did have an issue with lights for two days- they would not come up properly due to AI cloud issue but switched to APEX control and that fixed it. But that was last week. And the rose BTA is perfectly happy and enjoying life.
d09dd41c6acb7589be3370028b339c53.jpg
2dde7566e4dcb68f491ac87ffbbeb867.jpg
b8d23592b4d3187edbed920421b5473f.jpg
b6e24425be5ab823f712d133c81d905a.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sharis100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not expect the Xenia to bother the BTA enough to cause it to move. The BTA almost always wins battles with corals. Even around toxin emitting soft corals. For example I have a BTA near both a Toadstool Leather and some Palythoas. My anemone has been stinging the Palythoas and has shown no ill effect to what I must assume is the Playthoas fighting back with toxins.
15343BE9-D7E5-4A6B-BC7F-1B4EEB323B42.jpeg

Can you share a little more about your tank? What size is it, what lighting do you use? Any changes in light or flow recently? How are the tanks parameters? Any changes there recently in say salinity, temperature or other measured levels?

Anemones are strange creatures and often do weird things without explanation. I would definitely let it figure it out for itself and not try to move it.

Nothing has really changed, tank is stable. Only lighting issue with my hydras when the AI cloud did something wacky, but that was last week and lighting back to perfect parameters again and gbta and rbta were both fine and appeared happy to me.

OP
OP
S

Sharis100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing has really changed, tank is stable. Only lighting issue with my hydras when the AI cloud did something wacky, but that was last week and lighting back to perfect parameters again and gbta and rbta were both fine and appeared happy to me.

GBTA appears fine now, just moved to wall side of tank [emoji30]so our view is not great. Will leave him alone, and hope he decides to move towards the front eventually.
41fb9663bdc0ee7fdb95a75cfc80b76a.jpg

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 61 28.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 47 21.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 25 11.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back