View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my results back:

dbac1117fd8f9d318ff9fd9ba180b8ca.jpg

5f72a5bde22f69f1bc51196d976ba9f8.jpg

9c0e6c3c20d49493ce7ff0ed8dd88224.jpg

I can correct the Iodine pretty easy. Why do I have Tin (Sn) and Cr in the water? Tin is super high. Could it be from a pump? Or something else?

Also P is pretty high along with PO4.

I just added chaeto back yesterday so hopefully that will take that down.

Any other advice based on this?

Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I have Tin (Sn) and Cr in the water? Tin is super high. Could it be from a pump? Or something else?
Chrome can be from stainless steel among other sources. It could definitely be from a pump or a magnet. If you have any metal springs in a check valve that could be a source, too.

Also P is pretty high along with PO4.
As an FYI, the P and PO4 readings are actually only 1 reading listed in 2 different forms to save you from a conversion. If your curious, here is a link to the chart you can use.

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chrome can be from stainless steel among other sources. It could definitely be from a pump or a magnet. If you have any metal springs in a check valve that could be a source, too.

As an FYI, the P and PO4 readings are actually only 1 reading listed in 2 different forms to save you from a conversion. If your curious, here is a link to the chart you can use.

Thanks.

All my MP40s and return, skimmer pumps are new and less than 6 months old. I don’t have any float valves. I do have a cleaning magnet I keep in the tank. Also have a magnet clip I use to feed nori that’s in the tank. Not sure what could be leaching Sn and Cr.

Besides that the results aren’t terrible. Wonder if the metals could be causing my sps issues?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

All my MP40s and return, skimmer pumps are new and less than 6 months old. I don’t have any float valves. I do have a cleaning magnet I keep in the tank. Also have a magnet clip I use to feed nori that’s in the tank. Not sure what could be leaching Sn and Cr.

Besides that the results aren’t terrible. Wonder if the metals could be causing my sps issues?
I'm not even sure I would call those results terrible. I don't know how much tin it takes to cause a problem but while you have some, it isn't much.

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not even sure I would call those results terrible. I don't know how much tin it takes to cause a problem but while you have some, it isn't much.

Isn’t the Sn/Tin level being in the red considered bad?

Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t the Sn/Tin level being in the red considered bad?

Thanks
It's more of a measure of being far out of accepted levels. It's probably not good but for many of the things they test they don't necessarily have the data to say red is dangerous. It isn't uncommon for thriving reef tanks to have a few readings that are red.

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more of a measure of being far out of accepted levels. It's probably not good but for many of the things they test they don't necessarily have the data to say red is dangerous. It isn't uncommon for thriving reef tanks to have a few readings that are red.

Almost wonder if it’s in our water at our house? All of the equipment on the tank is brand new and less than 6 months old. Can’t imagine some metal bearing or whatever would be rusting and leaking Tin in the water....

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost wonder if it’s in our water at our house? All of the equipment on the tank is brand new and less than 6 months old. Can’t imagine some metal bearing or whatever would be rusting and leaking Tin in the water....
Do you use RODI?

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use RODI?

Yes 6 stage RODI unit from BRS.

TDS 0-1. Try to change the DI resin when the inline TDS meter gets to 1.

I’d assume the RODI removes most heavy metals.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 6 stage RODI unit from BRS.

TDS 0-1. Try to change the DI resin when the inline TDS meter gets to 1.

I’d assume the RODI removes most heavy metals.
Yup, and if it doesn't they will show up on the TDS meter. Some impurities won't but any metals should.

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, and if it doesn't they will show up on the TDS meter. Some impurities won't but any metals should.

Did a 20 gallon water change last weekend. Going to do another this week and hopefully that and the chaeto gets things back to where they were. Frustrating loosing sps.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back