Help with ID

chorizo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started culturing phyto (nannochloropsis) and this was in my end result. I wiped everything down with alcohol then rinsed with fresh rodi water because of the smell. Let it air dry for a day then mixed fresh salt water to 1.014 salinity. Added f.2 fertilizer then poured some live phytoplankton until it was light green. Closed the lid and added the airline until it looked like it was boiling. Had the light set up to 14 hours a day. 1 week later, collected it and saw those things. They look like spiky green balls. Any help would be appreciated.
DDF433A5-D61A-4DC1-B9B6-0C182C0BE35E.jpeg
1F6BE50C-5766-4EE0-860D-A0FDC35B7511.jpeg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’ve been told that could be a possible bacterial contamination. Possibly something introduced with your saltwater. Many get away without, but I’ve been told to sterilize my medium (the saltwater). Other possibility is that even with enough air to make it appear to boil, that there were “dead spots” in your container and some of the culture was smothered and the dead cells clumped.

OP
OP
chorizo619

chorizo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told that could be a possible bacterial contamination. Possibly something introduced with your saltwater. Many get away without, but I’ve been told to sterilize my medium (the saltwater). Other possibility is that even with enough air to make it appear to boil, that there were “dead spots” in your container and some of the culture was smothered and the dead cells clumped.
How would I go about sterilizing my fresh salt water? The container I know for sure had dead spots so both seem possible in my case because on one hand something could have been introduced, could have been microscopic, but it could happen. On the other hand I know the containers I used had dead spots 100%.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I usually use about 1ml if bleach per gallon of water and try to give it a day or more if possible. I use powdered ascorbic acid which is a form of vitamin C - .5grams per ml of bleach. I know you can get it from Amazon, but I couldn’t wait for it to be shipped and found some at a natural health food store locally. Since I’m doing 5 types I got a 5 gallon water bottle from Walmart and filled it with 1.020 saltwater added the bleach, capped it and shook it, then let it sit I only had 24 hours as my starters arrived the next day, but my second batch is chlorinated now and has been for couple days so I will add the acsorbic acid today. Will split my culture Friday I believe.

OP
OP
chorizo619

chorizo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually use about 1ml if bleach per gallon of water and try to give it a day or more if possible. I use powdered ascorbic acid which is a form of vitamin C - .5grams per ml of bleach. I know you can get it from Amazon, but I couldn’t wait for it to be shipped and found some at a natural health food store locally. Since I’m doing 5 types I got a 5 gallon water bottle from Walmart and filled it with 1.020 saltwater added the bleach, capped it and shook it, then let it sit I only had 24 hours as my starters arrived the next day, but my second batch is chlorinated now and has been for couple days so I will add the acsorbic acid today. Will split my culture Friday I believe.
The more you know. I will look into this right now. thanks for this info.

Back