Help with my hammer coral

Tohni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked great at store, brought it home and placed it where they recommended. Since the tank is 29" deep and LEDS are 12" above tank. Wondering if it is not getting enough light??
1524597895451.jpg

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you ask them what intensity they run their lights at?

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really doubt light is the issue hammers don't need particularly high light, how long have you had it / parameters? Is there anything else near it?

OP
OP
T

Tohni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really doubt light is the issue hammers don't need particularly high light, how long have you had it / parameters? Is there anything else near it?
I called them today and they said the lighting is to high. Ph is 7.8. But all other parameters are fine. I added melafix and increased oxg. There is no other corals around it and I had soaked and cleaned the rock I placed it on, just to make sure the rock didn't have any little polyps on it. Moved it off to the side a little out of light.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been in the tank? It's not uncommon for hammers to sulk like that for a few days or more after being transported, dipped and introduced to a new environment with completely different lighting.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those corals look like they are on their way to dying if something is not done. The lack of current looks to be at top of the list as the body is sagging over the skeleton. did you have a chance to check parms?

OP
OP
T

Tohni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those corals look like they are on their way to dying if something is not done. The lack of current looks to be at top of the list as the body is sagging over the skeleton. did you have a chance to check parms?
Yes, everything is fine except for some reason at 8am today my ph took a nose dive then came back up happened yesterday I only know this because it shows up on my Neptune. I don't know what it could be. I did move the coral up, only have the blue LEDs on and started target feeding it. It doesn't look any worse or better ay this point.

OP
OP
T

Tohni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been in the tank? It's not uncommon for hammers to sulk like that for a few days or more after being transported, dipped and introduced to a new environment with completely different lighting.
It's been almost a week

OP
OP
T

Tohni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, everything is fine except for some reason at 8am today my ph took a nose dive then came back up happened yesterday I only know this because it shows up on my Neptune. I don't know what it could be. I did move the coral up, only have the blue LEDs on and started target feeding it. It doesn't look any worse or better ay this point.
A few pics, the first one is an up close picture, the second one shows the approximate location in the tank, and the last picture is the other Coral that is only about 10 inches away from that one and looks fine
20180427_154711.jpg
20180427_154722.jpg
20180427_154728.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tohni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You added melafix why?

Age of system, parameter readouts from the last several weeks, how long have you had it?
Melafix reverses coral degradation.
System age about 2 years
Had major out break of fin rot while in Orlando reefapalooza. Lost almost all the fish. Corals were all fine. After doing several water changes and getting everything back up. I purchased the last pictured coral while at reefapalooza and had it shipped here. So I believe we received that one on April 11th. It looks fine. This one I bought from a local shop on the 20th. So I know it can't be from the treatment of the fin rot since the other looks fine and was in the tank during the whole treatment process.
So I've even checked my oxy levels and they are a perfect 7.
Screenshot_20180427-161023_Chrome.jpg

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, i think your focus is misplaced. I've personally never heard of anyone treating coral with Melafix. The stuff is highly regarded as snake oil in the hobby to begin with, but I digress on the validity of its intended use. As @Peter K mentioned; your chemistry (CA/ALK/MG) is what we're asking for. If you have other coral (LPS) doing fine, then this coral may have brown jelly or some other type of issue in which case I would try and do a dip of some sort, maybe revive.

OP
OP
T

Tohni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, i think your focus is misplaced. I've personally never heard of anyone treating coral with Melafix. The stuff is highly regarded as snake oil in the hobby to begin with, but I digress on the validity of its intended use. As @Peter K mentioned; your chemistry (CA/ALK/MG) is what we're asking for. If you have other coral (LPS) doing fine, then this coral may have brown jelly or some other type of issue in which case I would try and do a dip of some sort, maybe revive.
I've never had to do a dip before, what do you recommend. I honestly have tons of coral that I just stick in the tank and they do fine. I have a leather that I bought as a frag that is over 12" round. So I guess I've just been lucky. I will do testing in morning and post
I have also used Melafix for other as indicated on the bottle and next had a problem as long as you increase the oxygen in the tank while using it.

OP
OP
T

Tohni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u test for alk, Ca, and salinity ? If so can u provide those parameters for us?
Ph 7.8 ca 310 and salinity 1.024 nitrate 0. Mag 1400. Ph is low along with dkh so I put in aquavito 8.4 in last night. Even took water to store and had him double check it.

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your phosphate level? 0 nitrate, 0 phosphate could lead to a pretty unhappy hammer. You keep mentioning ph being low but in reality anything from 7.8-8.3 is fine not worth chasing.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they don’t do well in my tank! can’t figure out why... looks like for few months they are happy and than die(just lost 3 of them one by one) tried 3 times from 2 different places and no luck!
every time parameters are good, aame light,flow...
wonder if some of them are easier? australians better?

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Australians tend to be more hardy, they are more puffy then the other types. I have 11 different hammers in my tank so we’re a bit obsessed. Branching hammers are also easier than wall hammers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back